which seats fit a gold coupe

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

which seats fit a gold coupe

Postby paulr » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:30 pm

seems that owners have fitted mx5 seats/mgf seats and honda crx seats - anyone know any other seats that will fit as am keen to get some different seats for our gold and critical measurement seems to be the width - for mx5 anyone knmow which mk of mx5 seats fit please????

thanks all
paulr

Re: which seats fit a gold coupe

Postby manifold » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:03 pm

If you have the budget you could try CF Tillet Racing seats. I have them in my coupe....although looking at them just now..the price has gone up a lot!

Alternatively TVR 'S' seats fit very well.

The seats from a Mk1 or 2 MX5 fit as Alan and Johnny will testify ;).

Alternatively theres a company in Southport, who are very helpful who makes seats.

http://www.jkcomposites.com/
Attachments
seatsk.jpg
seatsk.jpg (64.11 KiB) Viewed 10213 times
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:44 pm

I have fitted Cobra kevlar bucket seats in my Convertible. I had to make a few small adjustments, I have written about it in an early club mag. I got these for just 50 euros a piece because the shop wanted to get rid of them. My best buy ever so it was worth a try. I put some padding at critical places under the seat cloth, very easy because it's velcro around. To my surprise they are quite comfortable, but big ass types won't fit.
Hans Efde

Postby Alan D. » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Johnny and I did a joint project fitting MX 5 seats. The Mks 1 and 2 MX 5 seem to use the same type of seats, but there is another version sold in Japan called the Eunos this is a more upmarket version than the ones sold in the UK.Lots of these Eunos's were imported into the UK and are available at breakers etc....

The seats in the Eunos have speakers in the headrests, which I think is very handy in a convertible. They also come in cloth or leather versions. You can tell the difference between the two types, as the ones with speakers fitted have the head rest joined to the seat and the cheaper Uk version has separate headrests. New seat covers are readily available on EBay and can be had in rather snazzy two tone leather creations. They will fit easily into Mk 1.2 & 3 Midas's. You can also modify the MX 5's runners to suit the Midas. Which makes the whole job relatively inexpensive!

Drawings to follow

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:50 pm

Drawings to allow you to make the components

A good tip is: when you make the spacers, tap the hole to say 6mm and screw the spacer on to the bolt, that way when you are fitting the seats into the car, which you are usually doing on your own! You then have four rigid bolts to push through the holes in the floor, instead of trying to line up four sloppy bolts, which can take an age.

Then just wire up your speakers and you have a bit of luxury in your Midas!
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Paul,

Did you buy this car from Russell, if it is you, I've sent the receipt for the engine to Russell and have also sent you a PM on this forum!

Regards Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Just to add, the MX 5 seats are very comfortable, but I think in the future I might try and find a way of lifting up the front of the seat, as I tend to slide forward a little, but that maybe is because I'm a lard ar-e!!

I also changed the spreader plates from stainless steel to aluminium. Aluminium being the poor man's Titanium!!

George on of our Northern group has fitted Toyota Supra seats with electric operation, they are very flash! Previously he had seats from a Delorian fitted to his Mk 3

Do you have anything to add Johnny?

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Rich » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:34 pm

I've got leather Richfield seats in mine IIRC, I've had to make up some fairly large spacers to recline the seat base so I can get some support under my legs. I'm still not 100% happy with them and I'll be trying the MX5 seats that a friend has given me from the spares car he's broken for his racer.
Rich

Postby johnnyfixit » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:10 pm

The seats out of an Audi TT look the same sort of width and awsome looks too
just a case of looking at the mounts
johnnyfixit

Postby Stuart » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:50 pm

^^^^
Might be a bit on the big side

I fancy some of these, but way dearer than my whole car :o

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT