Sloppy gearchange

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Sloppy gearchange

Postby DavidL » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:46 pm

MrBounce wrote:Just as a thought, has anyone considered a Quickshift kit? Removes a hell of a lot of slop from the gearchange as it decreases the travel by a massive amount. Had one on my old Mini and absolutely loved it 8-)

How does that actually reduce gear lever travel - is the swivel ball repositioned higher up?
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:04 pm

Cut down standard works best in a Midas, however having said that I have a quick shift set-up going spare, it would still need the lever chopping down to a more Midas friendly size.
Stuart

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:27 pm

I have a quick shift in my Convertible. It's great, but I have had occasions that I could not get 4th gear. I am not sure if that's the QS or something wrong in the gearbox.
Hans Efde

Postby DavidL » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:32 pm

Stuart wrote:Cut down standard works best in a Midas, however having said that I have a quick shift set-up going spare, it would still need the lever chopping down to a more Midas friendly size.

Must resist... :D

Probably better if I can cure my sloppiness first, so I'm out (for now).
DavidL

Postby paulr » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:49 pm

have got/had both - ie sloppy gear change - reverse must be in there somewhere but not always! and quckshift - finally found cure for all the issues - took off remote change and found it had loads of play and replaced with one of a metro which was much tighter and suddenly meant reverse was always there when we wanted it - also bought and fitted new kad quckshift and combo now is just so - one suggestion - do both at the same time ideally as to fit quickshift need to drive out old pins in remote and that would have been much easier on the bench rather than under the car!
paulr

Postby DavidL » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:05 pm

Well, I've got myself a new remote housing, and a new gearbox seal for the selector shaft exit is on its way, so I'm getting there. Haven't done anything to the car for a couple of weeks now, trying to work out the best solution on a limited budget for my exhaust problem...
DavidL

Previous

Return to Mk 3 Coupe