Towbar

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Towbar

Postby DavidL » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:15 pm

manifold wrote:[snip]
Like I said earlier, I was told it was a 'factory' one but the quality of build makes me doubt it. The actual design itself is fine though. I am always using the tow hitch. Great for moving tall ladders about on a trailer.

Looking at the photos I'd also doubt that it was a factory made item; it looks to me like it blocks off the three vents in the back panel. I can't see the factory doing it that way - as I understood it, those vents were to allow air to flow around and past the silencer. However, that could be a load of rubbish and they might just be "styling" vents.

Just about every vehicle I've ever owned with four wheels has ended up with a towbar attached, it's something I can't live without now. Might be something to do with being brought up driving tractors. :D
DavidL

Postby manifold » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:24 pm

It doesn't block the back ports off.

However I do have a 'special' factory bumper which has 'hidden' vents under the rear lights to release the air pressure.

Not seen any others like them, although there must be.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby DavidL » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:35 pm

manifold wrote:It doesn't block the back ports off.

However I do have a 'special' factory bumper which has 'hidden' vents under the rear lights to release the air pressure.

Not seen any others like them, although there must be.

My mistake, must be the way I was interpreting the photos.

However, do the "hidden" vents appear under the middle section of the rear light units? Mine has what look like vents there, they're about 2.5" - 3" wide and just big enough to get my four fingers in.
DavidL

Postby DavidL » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Just looked again, they're just wider than the reversing light lenses, and just below them. From directly above, the rear edge of the vent is just visible. Are those what you mentioned, David?
DavidL

Postby Jon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:23 pm

David,

The rear bumper on my first '89 Gold had the top vents and foam filling, the GTM made replacement (which I think was the one you acquired from the guy in Rugby) was a thicker laminate with no foam or top vents.

As for the 'factory' provenance of the tow bar, the guy who sold me the car with it on said he was told that it was a factory fit, and I'm pretty sure that Dick Arbury who was the original owner of that car, which was Corby factory built, told me he had it fitted at the factory. I agree with you though, it didn't look very professional. We'll never know for sure, as Dick died about eight years ago.

Jon
Jon

Postby DavidL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:33 am

manifold wrote:my boat goes up a slipway no probs.

Heres all the pics I have.

David,
I'm about to start building my towbar, but before I do; do you know (or can you measure!) the thickness of the steel used to make yours?
Thanks. :)
DavidL

Postby manifold » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:03 am

Its generally about 4-5mm angle Iron and box section.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby DavidL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:04 pm

manifold wrote:Its generally about 4-5mm angle Iron and box section.

Thanks, David. :)
DavidL

Previous

Return to Mk 3 Coupe