instrument lights - feeble - cure?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

instrument lights - feeble - cure?

Postby paulr » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:59 am

the instrument lights on our midas "Ruby" are feeble - hard to read the speedo or rev counter - according to metro manual the lights are 3 bulbs mounted in the rear of the instrument binnacle.

please can you let me know if your lights are bright enough to be able to clearly read the instruments at night or whether this is a known metro instrument pod problem - my suspicion is that we have the wrong bulbs but before I dismantle the dash (again) wanted to get some comfort that problem should be as simple as swapping bulbs

thanks all

Paul
paulr

Re: instrument lights - feeble - cure?

Postby Rich » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:39 pm

When my dash lights worked at all they illuminated the dials fine. From memory the bulbs shine directly onto the dash face.
Rich

Postby Stuart » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:50 pm

I've had one pod that was perfect and another that was too dim, I didn't investigate as to why though.
Stuart

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:16 pm

Mine are pretty feeble, but as I hate getting the wretched binnacle out they'll stay until they pack up altogether.
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby paulr » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:28 pm

cured - whilst according to my copy of haynes manual for metro - our midas instrument pack should have 3 instrument lights - on our version there is only one - centrally mounted at the top rear of the binnacle - managed to get the original one out without dismantling dash and handy local motor spares shop had choice of different wattage bulbs to fit - seems the one we took out was 1w - the brightest they do is 2w so bought that one.

Sadly getting bulb back in with dash in place - a struggle - ok - couldn't do it!

But managed to over last night and first thing this morning dismantle - fit bulb and reassemble and eureka - can now read the instruments .
paulr

Return to Mk 3 Coupe