B*st*rd jobs on a Midas, No. 43

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

B*st*rd jobs on a Midas, No. 43

Postby Geoff Butcher » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Changing the steering rack gaiter, aaaarrgh! :evil: If it was just a tad more difficult, it'd be easier to take the rack off the car...
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Re: B*st*rd jobs on a Midas, No. 43

Postby Rich » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:32 pm

Is that on the Mini rack or the Metro rack?

B*st*rd job No.44 on the Gold is the steering flexible joint.....
Rich

Postby Geoff Butcher » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:37 am

Metro. Ive got a new flexi joint standing by since my MoT man mentioned it once, but he seems to have lost interest in it again. It looked OK to me, so I won't be in a rush...
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Another one of those days...I was trial-fitting my MGF passenger seat, only to find the runner was on top of a bundy tube which is clipped to the floor near the sill. I undid the clips to shift it over a bit, then noticed a whiff of petrol. Looked under the car and under the bonnet, nothing obvious. I then discovered the bundy tube was not a brake line as I had always fondly imagined, but the fuel pipe, and a rubber joining piece at the back had perished and split. My driveway is on a steep slope, so I turned the car round, which stopped the flow. Naturally I didn't have a bit of quarter inch hose. After using up my stock of expletives I realised this had been quite lucky really, as it would have split before long anyway, which could have stranded me in the middle of nowhere with petrol lapping gently round my ankles. Always look on the bright side of life... 8-)
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Rich » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Mk3 Pedal box, not enjoying myself here........
Rich

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:51 pm

B*sr*rd job no. 44, top mountings of the front shock absorbers. Designed for people with baboon arms.
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:07 pm

I'm with you on that one Hans. I did mine yesterday....both, ready for an MOT.

Thank goodness for nylons though. Back in the day the shockers used to come with 2 nuts you had to lock together.

I will say that the Rover and later Metro dash's are the worst of all for this though as the rectangular aperture is smaller, in particular the one over the glove box......so you can't have any upper arm muscles (or chicken wings) either, as these get in the way.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby max midas » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:23 pm

Thank goodness for nylons, I usually wear overalls, but whatever...
max midas

Postby manifold » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:26 pm

lol. auto spell doing a trick on me. Nylons = NYLOCS
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Moneypit » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:35 am

Any body tried to replace the speedo cable on a gold convertible using the access panel in the bulkhead? Thought I'd save some time rather than taking the dash out. Eventually ,after a few choice expletives, I managed to squeeze round the wiper links and cables to get the thing on. At this point my hand decides to double in sizeand I can't get it out!! Bit of a panick, stuck there looking like James Herriot helping out a stubborn calf. Must have snagged my hand on every sharp edge in there.Still , at least it's working again now.
Moneypit

Next

Return to Mk 3 Coupe