Coilover/handbrake mounting bracket

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Coilover/handbrake mounting bracket

Postby Olof » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:59 pm

The coilovers on my Gold are bolted thru the handbrake mounting bracket. It looks neat, but one of the bolts snapped today when I was dismantling the suspension. So when removing the bolts, it could be that I have to be kinda brutal. Are theses brackets still available? In the Haynes Metro manual, they can be seen on page 10•4 as item "20".

Thanks
Olof

Re: Coilover/handbrake mounting bracket

Postby manifold » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:07 pm

I'd make some out of a piece of angle iron cut up. Thats what I have done one mine. They don't do a lot except hold the handbrake cable in place. You will be hard pressed to get any now except off a scrap car.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:06 am

If this is the standard handbrake mounting bracket then I've got a pair kicking about somewhere, powder coated too IIRC.

Rich
Rich

Postby Olof » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:29 am

Superb service, this. I'll return to the car later during the week. With a bit of luck, I should be able to remove the coil overs without cutting the brackets. Otherwise, I might take up your offer. Or just use a piece of iron.

Cheers!
Olof

Postby manifold » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:41 pm

Glad the forum is doing its job Olof!
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Olof » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:57 am

A friendly blacksmith helped me to drill out the, very, long bolts holding the coilovers to the handbrake brackets. He also shortened, cut back, the springs about an inch so this will help me getting the car closer to the ground. The springs are still long enough to compress properly when fitting.

I'm now in the process of sandblasting and painting the complete assembly. Will come back when done. Hopefully with pictures, if I can work out how to upload them. It doesn't seem to work on a Mac??
Olof

Return to Mk 3 Coupe