dampertech coilovers

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

dampertech coilovers

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:55 pm

my dampertech coilovers make a knocking noise when they return to full stretch its like there should be a rubber inside the danper to stop it topping out is this a bad problem as im not impressed with the sound they make when rolling it down the curb at my dads i hate to imagine what they will do when i hit a pothole which is a dead cert on our roads any advice would be much appreciated im hoping its not a problem at this stage as its gonna annoy me no end removing them and sending them back when its pretty much road ready
b1zbaz

Re: dampertech coilovers

Postby Stuart » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:11 pm

What springs (lbs rate) have you got?

You really need to replicate something like this to get away from your problem.
Attachments
DSC_0340.jpg
DSC_0340.jpg (67.51 KiB) Viewed 4848 times
Stuart

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:56 pm

I can't speak for your dampers, but my spax dampers came with a rubber ring that is mounted on the rod inside the spring. Seems like a logical thing to have. On the other hand there should be rubbers on the car that limit the stroke of the suspension arm. The down stroke should be dampened by rubbers on the subframe (just in front of the arm, I suppose we are talking aft suspension). For the upstroke on the Metro there was a rubber mounted on the floorpan of the car. This can be mimicked on the Midas by bolting a rubber to the floor of the Midas where the suspension arm hits. The damper should never bottom out in the up or down stroke. This will cause serious stability problems on the car and will shorten the life of the dampers considerably.
Hans Efde

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:37 am

Surely the damper shoul stop itself extending too far my fox float shock on my mountain bike has a separate air canal which stops the shock from over extending whilst working the damp rate
b1zbaz

Postby Stuart » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:45 pm

Hans raises a very good point with regard to the buffer pad on the subframe, if you still have the suspension knuckle socket on your radius arms you could solve the problem to some extent by packing out the rubber buffer to the point where it stops the damper fully extending.
Stuart

Return to Mk 3 Coupe