something has gone wrong

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: something has gone wrong

Postby Stuart » Wed May 02, 2012 9:36 pm

b1zbaz wrote:ok thank you stuart i guess my midas wont be going to stoneleigh then

I went all the way done to the Mini cooper day at Beaulieu with a failing bearing, perhaps I was lucky to get home.
Stuart

Postby b1zbaz » Wed May 02, 2012 10:14 pm

what course of action would you take now dont care what it costs i just want it back on the road it still goes into all gears fine it just sounds a bit in a nice context f@#ked
b1zbaz

Postby Rich » Wed May 02, 2012 10:38 pm

b1zbaz wrote:what course of action would you take now dont care what it costs i just want it back on the road it still goes into all gears fine it just sounds a bit in a nice context f@#ked

I'd be tempted to pick up a 998 engine and box, drop that in and take my time sorting the bigger, rarer engine properly.
Rich

Postby b1zbaz » Wed May 02, 2012 10:41 pm

engine is mint really strong and healthy just the box
b1zbaz

Postby Rich » Wed May 02, 2012 10:48 pm

b1zbaz wrote:engine is mint really strong and healthy just the box

If there's bits of gearbox floating around I'd be strongly tempted to strip the engine, as already mentioned a look at the oil pump should give you an idea.

Are you going to get to Stoneleigh in alternative transport?
Rich

Postby b1zbaz » Wed May 02, 2012 10:53 pm

yes my dads going in the minus so will jump in with him i might buy another 1275 and do a major overhaul on it then swap engines and do the same to the current engine thats in the car now and then i would have a nice spare engine to play with when bored and also could do a manifold on it and turn the thing into a manimal
b1zbaz

Postby Rich » Wed May 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Hopefully see you there.
Rich

Postby lankyjames » Thu May 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Gutted to hear about this baz, this sounds EXACTLY like what happened to my mini box, first reverse started making a horrible noise, then i lost all drive altogether.

Stripped it down and it was the double roller bearing, plus i had lost several teeth off one of the gears....

MY advice, get it to guessworks, I paid £100, fully refurbed, and with a central oil pickup, still using it today and i've never once had an issue with it. Top work.
lankyjames

Postby manifold » Thu May 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Stuart wrote:
ROLLER DOUBLE BEARING FOR MAINSHAFT

I'd go with the double race bearing as David says, although after replacing my failed bearing my gearbox worked just fine for years afterwards.

You must have been a right lucky so and so Stuart. :)

That bearing keeps the gears and synchs in parallel with the laygear and when that goes the teeth crash together and it usually ends up stripping teeth off the gears near the diff pinion and the laygear....except for maybe the ones up by the flywheel housing. You can tell because its going when you go into reverse, the pressure changes and unlocks....if you can disengage. This is one of the reasons why I now always have outrigger bearings fitted in the housing KAD supplies to give more time. Can be retrofitted to any gearbox.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Thu May 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Just a thought for the future, what oil are you using?

I used to be able to feel the oil 'fail' after a while in the sump with the gearchange getting harsher. Since I swapped over to Millers CTV there's been no further problems.
Rich

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3 Coupe