Engine temperature

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Engine temperature

Postby b1zbaz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:51 am

I put a new temp sender unit in the Midas today as it hardly ever moved from the just above the white marker at the very bottom I put the connection directly on the engine block and it instantly climbed to the red but even now with the new sender unit in it still barely moves from the white marker at the very bottom of the gauge so I'm just wondering if there is a problem somewhere or the car just runs as cool as it looks any help would be much appreciated also I have had no issues with overheating I'm just worried about setting off on a long journey and getting stuck
b1zbaz

Re: Engine temperature

Postby lankyjames » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:22 am

Hey baz,
I have a very similar issue with the current set of clocks I use, the only time needle would move is standstill traffic and it will climb to 1/4-1/3 and the electric fan would kick in.
Conversely with the original clocks the needle was much more active, while on the move (even as low as 10mph) the needle would be in the blue area of the temp gauge, raising to 1/2 way and then up to 3/4 on standstill traffic with the fan kicking in and worrying me about overheating!

I can only put it down to differences of gauges, of course a separate water temp gauge would be able to diffuse any doubts!
lankyjames

Postby manifold » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:51 pm

If your engine is running too cool make sure you have a thermostat fitted.....or the right one.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby DavidL » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:02 pm

I have a similar problem, but I also have a problem with the fuel gauge reading, and it's because my car uses a Rover 213 instrument panel, which hasn't been modified to take account of the different senders (water temp, fuel tank unit). To get these to read correctly you need to solder on a couple of resistors to the back of the instrument panel; the problem is I don't know exactly what values to use. I believe there's a company which will do the mod for you - think they're called Speedy Cables?

Someone here will know!
DavidL

Engine temperature

Postby b1zbaz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Now that is very interesting does that mean I can fit any clocks whatsoever and get them calibrated to work on the Midas
b1zbaz

Postby lankyjames » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:34 pm

b1zbaz wrote:Now that is very interesting does that mean I can fit any clocks whatsoever and get them calibrated to work on the Midas

Not quite baz as the speedo is cable operated. But you could Retro fit electronic sensors onto a driveshaft for electric clocks. I'm tempted for an all in one electronic unit, but they are a bit pricey and not sure it would suit the car!
lankyjames

Engine temperature

Postby b1zbaz » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Just gonna stick with original clocks for now but would like to find out how to get them calibrated or whatever it is that needs doing
b1zbaz

Postby Alan D. » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:10 pm

lankyjames wrote:
b1zbaz wrote:Now that is very interesting does that mean I can fit any clocks whatsoever and get them calibrated to work on the Midas

Not quite baz as the speedo is cable operated. But you could Retro fit electronic sensors onto a driveshaft for electric clocks. I'm tempted for an all in one electronic unit, but they are a bit pricey and not sure it would suit the car!

You can get around the cable speedo by fitting a GPS operated speedo and other clever instruments from: Speedhut

http://www.speedhut.com/

Alan
Alan D.

Return to Mk 3 Coupe