Verto clutch

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Verto clutch

Postby b1zbaz » Tue May 21, 2013 8:02 pm

Evening everybody my clutch cable snapped at 5 o'clock in rush hour main road traffic I managed to get one and have fitted it but its now clunking into first gear and I have been told they are self adjusting but I have pumped the pedal about 30 times and drove it home still clunking do I need to do anything or will it sort itself out any help will be much appreciated as I'm going to Cornwall on Saturday and really need to get to work tomoz and Friday for spending money
Bazzer
b1zbaz

Re: Verto clutch

Postby Rich » Tue May 21, 2013 9:48 pm

b1zbaz wrote:Evening everybody my clutch cable snapped at 5 o'clock in rush hour main road traffic I managed to get one and have fitted it but its now clunking into first gear and I have been told they are self adjusting but I have pumped the pedal about 30 times and drove it home still clunking do I need to do anything or will it sort itself out any help will be much appreciated as I'm going to Cornwall on Saturday and really need to get to work tomoz and Friday for spending money
Bazzer

You are right that they are self adjusting though I have had problems with cheap replacements not adjusting properly. What I do now is increase the compression on the spring by moving the clip further towards the pedal end. I can't remember the exact specifics but you should be able to take up another inch or so of compression by using an alternative clip position.
Rich

Re: Verto clutch

Postby Hans Efde » Wed May 22, 2013 7:28 am

Rich wrote:
b1zbaz wrote:Evening everybody my clutch cable snapped at 5 o'clock in rush hour main road traffic I managed to get one and have fitted it but its now clunking into first gear and I have been told they are self adjusting but I have pumped the pedal about 30 times and drove it home still clunking do I need to do anything or will it sort itself out any help will be much appreciated as I'm going to Cornwall on Saturday and really need to get to work tomoz and Friday for spending money
Bazzer

You are right that they are self adjusting though I have had problems with cheap replacements not adjusting properly. What I do now is increase the compression on the spring by moving the clip further towards the pedal end. I can't remember the exact specifics but you should be able to take up another inch or so of compression by using an alternative clip position.

For standard pressure plates the clutch cable is fine. If you have a stronger pressure plate (uprated engines) the hydraulic clutch mechanism is much better. I have an orange pressure plate (engines up to 90 bhp) and for this the hydraulic system is a necessity.
Hans Efde

Return to Mk 3 Coupe