Front shock absorber top nut access

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Front shock absorber top nut access

Postby DavidL » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:25 pm

I'm about to change my front shock absorbers, I haven't tried this before but know the access is somewhat challenging.
I'm thinking about using a core drill to make an access hole through each inner wing, probably about 2"/50mm diameter, about an inch/25mm up from the bottom surface of the inner box section. Has anyone else done this, or am I over-reacting to a job which needs to be done relatively infrequently?
DavidL

Re: Front shock absorber top nut access

Postby Stuart » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:58 pm

That's a good idea. If you don't drill the hole I've found it necessary to remove the steering column to get close enough to get my arm all the way in.
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:02 pm

It just seemed to be an obvious thing to do, so much so that it's slightly worrying that I can't find any evidence of anyone else having done it, if you see what I mean.

I really don't think that a round hole would make any difference to the structural integrity in that area.

And I really don't want to have to start removing even more parts of the car to get at those nuts. Although the holes would mean removing the battery box and the header tank, I'd much rather move those out of the way than remove the steering column.
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:12 pm

There's a square hole on my current MK3 on one side. I used it to remove the stub of a damper that had been left on the car, the rest of the damper looked to have been removed with a gas torch!
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Stuart wrote:There's a square hole on my current MK3 on one side. I used it to remove the stub of a damper that had been left on the car, the rest of the damper looked to have been removed with a gas torch!

Now that's interesting, but why on only one side? What size is it, out of interest? I was thinking a 2" hole would be just about big enough, but a bigger hole would probably make it easier, especially if the nuts put up any resistance (which I fully expect them to do).
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:25 pm

I've just had a quick look, it's a rough roughly 1 3/4 by 3/4" slot. The GRP is very thick.
A 2" hole should work, although as you say bigger would be better.
Mine's on the drivers side, perhaps done when a damper failed, or because of the more difficult access that side.

any small hole will only allow a spanner or socket in with the turning achieved by rotating the actual damper I imagine, or very small movements on a very fine ratchet socket set.
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks Stuart, I think I'll start with 2" on one side and hope that it's big enough.
DavidL

Postby DavidL » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:37 pm

I might finally have a job for this ratchet handle...

(not the one I have, mine is a Stanley. I bought it about 20 years ago and have never found a valid reason to use it)
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:39 pm

oooh yes, absolutely perfect I imagine.
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:40 pm

Well if it is, it's about bloody time it was!
DavidL

Next

Return to Mk 3 Coupe