Rear shock absorbers

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Rear shock absorbers

Postby DavidL » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:07 pm

Stuart wrote:I've had AVO's and in all honesty they were comparable with Spax and GAZ. I imagine the production techniques and paints used have also changed over the years too...

From my experience of my 2008 BMW motorbike's paint finish, and having seen much older BMW bike paint finishes, I can say that's not always a good thing! I suppose it's really how it performs in use that matters, but I'd rather not see rusty adjusters. Do the AVOs come with the adjustable spring mounts as standard, or are they an extra cost item?
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:15 pm

DavidL wrote: Do the AVOs come with the adjustable spring mounts as standard, or are they an extra cost item?

I know when Dampertech Dave was selling AVO's there was a Midas specific fixed seat version. Now he's GAZ Dave I think they also do a fixed seat version for the Midas. Best to confirm before ordering, adjustable seat is preferable IMO.

There are also subtle variations in length too. I also know the top mounting bushes on the GAZ were really too thick, you can see that in my photo.
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:27 pm

Stuart wrote:
DavidL wrote: Do the AVOs come with the adjustable spring mounts as standard, or are they an extra cost item?

I know when Dampertech Dave was selling AVO's there was a Midas specific fixed seat version. Now he's GAZ Dave I think they also do a fixed seat version for the Midas. Best to confirm before ordering, adjustable seat is preferable IMO.

There are also subtle variations in length too. I also know the top mounting bushes on the GAZ were really too thick, you can see that in my photo.

Speaking of differences in length, the GAZes I took off the front were too short to allow the suspension to reach the bottom bump stop. It made me wonder whether the issues I've heard about cracking around the front upper mountings being the result of that; it might not matter if the car is set low on its suspension, but running at the "standard" ride height and topping out the travel would put far more strain on the upper mounts...
DavidL

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:05 pm

I have the experience that the shock absorbers don't really matter at the back. I have had Avo's and Spax dampers and they both leaked. But without dampening oil I didn't feel a difference. I did feel difference with the spring rates. My Avo's had soft springs and the suspension felt it was bottoming out. My Spax had the original and stronger springs. With these the back end felt more stable. Since the back is so light hardly any dampening is necessary. It is advised to put the dampers on the lightest setting. A few years ago a Dutch Midas owner had the stronger springs remade and I bought a couple of them. Together with 2nd hand Spax dampers from Ebay (old stock) it works perfectly. And yes also these dampers leak. At least they don't rust since I painted them for a bit of extra protection.
Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Protecs are cheaper than that (or at least they were) I've listed the specs I used when I ordered mine a couple of years back on here somewhere.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1629&p=10136#p10136
Rich

Postby DavidL » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Rich wrote:Protecs are cheaper than that (or at least they were) I've listed the specs I used when I ordered mine a couple of years back on here somewhere.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1629&p=10136#p10136

I've just checked the cost of a pair of Protechs to the spec you mentioned -
Protech 400 series.
14.5" open length, 2 1/4" spring seats, M27 upper mount, Bottom mount is 32mm bonded bush with 12mm hole diameter. (choose the hole diameter to suit whatever setup you have)

- and they are exactly the same price as AVOs now (£90 + VAT each). Given that price isn't an issue, would you recommend either make over the other?
DavidL

Postby Rich » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:31 pm

I understand that people have had issues with Avo units. I've got a leaking seal at the moment on one of my Protecs but have full confidence that when I get it back to them it will be sorted out. I've given away some old Avo units that needed rebuilding, I'd buy the Protecs again.
Rich

Postby Alan D. » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:39 pm

I have 12 inch open length Gaz coilovers, from Dampertech,they rust! Even on my car which lives in a heated garage! Not to be recommended I'm just looking at rear spring rates again. I started at 140 lbs per inch, then 120's then 90's and now 75's, which are still to hard. the 75's are wound up about 1.5 inches to get the ride height, so that equates to about 100 lbs load initially before the spring moves. When hitting a bump the car bounces and scuttle shake is caused, so the body of the car is acting like a spring. I think I'm going to go for two stage springs next, a 50 lbs four inch length, then a 70 lbs eight inch length.
Has any body got any advice as to what spring rate they are using on the rear of a Mk 3?

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:19 am

I am using the original spec. Corby springs. This is a graph I got from the chap who had them remade. I think they are perfect:
Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:17 am

I think mine are around 100lb, it drives fine on those but does bottom out occasionally. That said, I ain't the lightest and the boot is usually full of crap.
Rich

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3 Coupe