Rear shock absorbers

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Rear shock absorbers

Postby Stuart » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm still exploring replicating the original dual rate springs. My last mk3 had according to the service diary 150lb/in springs with a short 4lb/in run flat. That meant it wasn't at full damper extension at rest. It gave a nice ride as I remember and sat at the right height too.
I know my needs have changed a little since then, so I may end up with something much softer. It'll be the front that will be more challenging I imagine.
Stuart

Postby axshack » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi all,
a follow up question concerning rear coilovers...

what size of C spanner is required to adjust the ride height without knocking all of my knuckles off using an inappropriate tool ?

I see that DemonTweeks sell a very comprehensive set of different spanner sizes, and for very reasonable prices, so that is where I am going once I know what size to get.

I bet the next questions is going to be: what coilover system is fitted (GAZ, SPAX etc). Don't know yet, need to get under the back end to check, but hopefully they are all much of a muchness.

Cheers
Dave
axshack

Postby Stuart » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:33 pm

Gaz use a 76 mm C-spanner. No doubt yours will have non height adjustable Spax dampers.
Stuart

Postby axshack » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Stuart wrote:Gaz use a 76 mm C-spanner. No doubt yours will have none height adjustable Spax dampers.

yes, I need to get under the car to find out I guess....going to try and blag my local KwikFit to put it up on the ramp for 5 minutes tomorrow !! :)
axshack

Postby Geoff Butcher » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:00 pm

I've got two types which take 2.25" springs and the seats are 75 mm diameter
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby axshack » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:54 pm

ah well, as Stuart so rightly said...I have non-adjustable coilovers on my car !! need to go shopping, so I had best read the rest of this thread to determine which ones to go for !
axshack

Postby axshack » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:20 pm

I have read the thread, and my non-engineer brain cannot cope with all of the alternatives being discussed.
So, can someone please point me to a spec or supplier of coilovers for road (NON TRACK) use.
Many thanks

Dave
axshack

Postby kelvink » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:23 pm

I'd strongly recommend giving Alistair Courtney a phone call
kelvink

Postby axshack » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:30 pm

Yes Kelvin I was going that way myself !!
Dave
axshack

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:45 pm

I have a question about lowering my rear ride height. I have non adjustable Spax dampers which are quite old (so probably no more oil in them) and 100lbs springs. Preload is quite high on these dampers. I need to lower the car at the rear about half an inch to get a proper tyre gap (probably the gap will be a lot bigger if I remove all the tooling from the boot!). What would be wise? Do I need to buy new adjustable shocks? If yes, what's the best buy for the Midas right now? Or is it possible to modify the springs? F.E. by chopping a piece off, or do straps exist that can tie down 2 loops?
Hans Efde

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3 Coupe