Headlight questions

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Headlight questions

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:10 pm

Q1: How are the little eyebrows over the lights attached?
Q2: Is there a knack, which I obviously haven't got, to wangle those horrible spring clips back over the headlight? Another 10 minute job ends up as an hour of ungentlemanly language... :evil:

Also, both of my Cibie spotlights are seriously rusty. Are all makes just as bad? I had hoped that Cibies would be of decent quality
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Re: Headlight questions

Postby mikeeskriett » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:47 pm

The eyebrows are attached with either a stud which will be seized solid or bonded on

The springs can be a massive pain in the butt to do. The most important thing is to make sure they are in the right place before you put the lamp in and that the lugs on the lamp line up with the notches in the rim.

The trick is to get a hook something like the one in the set below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Tools-Mini-Small-Hook-Set-4pce-Suitable-For-Cotter-Pins-O-Rings-/181327935191?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a37fcb6d7

Try and slot the lamp under the first two clips and then hook the third one over. I still have a dig out of the paint on my car where this didn't go well one afternoon.
mikeeskriett

Postby All That Glisters » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:49 pm

I used to use a shoelace, just thread it through one of the springs (the little hole in the end), hook the light under the other two springs whilst pulling on the the shoelace to get the third spring out of the way, when the unit feels like it is in the right place allow the third spring to return, then pull the shoelace out.
All That Glisters

Postby Geoff Butcher » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:01 pm

Thanks - next time I'll try the shoelace trick first, as it doesn't involve spending money... 8-)
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby All That Glisters » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 pm

I'm from Yorkshire.
All That Glisters

Return to Mk 3 Coupe