Undertrays

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Undertrays

Postby stevew » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:11 pm

Unfortuinately when purchased my coupe no longer had its undertrays. I've seen the photos on the forum of the manufactured undertrays, but has anyone had a go at making their own? If so I'd be keen to know how they got on, and how they attached to the car as I'm keen to fit later this year.
stevew

Re: Undertrays

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:57 am

Mike Perkins had an aluminium plate as rear undertray on one of his older Midasses. Moneywise it's better to buy them from Alternative Cars. I bought them from him since there is not too much saved when going to the trouble of building them yourself in composites. The only way to build them cheap is if you can get some alu sheet cheap.

Bolting them to the car is straight forward. They bolt or screw to the bumper (there's a recess) and the bottom to the car with in total 11 to 12 screws per undertray. The Corby factory used to use parkers but they will run loose quickly. On my first car the aft one came loose, luckily at low speed without damage. Alternative Cars sells a mounting kit with stainless rivnutsor anchor nuts, but you need a special tool for it. I used rubber nuts to fasten mine. No special tools needed, they won't run loose and they won't rust. You'll find them on Ebay. Don't forget to use large washers under the bolt head.
Hans Efde

Postby wolfie » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:06 pm

Thats useful info Hans. I was never offered the undertrays or inner arch parts by GTM so had put these things on a 'make them when I can be arsed' list which has been going on for years
wolfie

Postby stevew » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:12 pm

Hans, many thanks. Best I get in contact with Alternative Cars, and thanks about the advice on attachments.
stevew

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:53 pm

wolfie wrote:Thats useful info Hans. I was never offered the undertrays or inner arch parts by GTM so had put these things on a 'make them when I can be arsed' list which has been going on for years

No, GTM didn't have the moulds. Alistair had new moulds produced about 5 years ago. Same for the inner arches. Also very useful.
Hans Efde

Postby stevew » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:56 pm

Alistair has come back with what looks like very reasonable prices with undertrays at £75 for the front and £85 for the rear, and closure panels for the front wheel arches at £30 each and their fitting kits £5 each. So I'm off to raid the kids piggybanks!
stevew

Return to Mk 3 Coupe