Headlamp covers

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Headlamp covers

Postby axshack » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi all,
I need to remove the headlamps (all of them), but am stumped as to how they are fitted, particularly the "eyebrows". Anyone have any handy tips or tricks to get them off without breaking everything?

Many thanks

Dave
axshack

Re: Headlamp covers

Postby Stuart » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:34 pm

The eyebrows are usually bonded on and don't need to be removed to remove the headlights. The lights are held in by those 3 little spring clips.

Stuart

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:29 pm

Standard factory the eyebrows were fastened with a bolt that was laminated in. If it's there, the nut is visible/feelable just aft of the lamp connector (how any times have I scratched my hand against it). Many owners and also done by Charlie Dodd was to glue the eye brows to the structure. As Stuart says lights can be removed without having to loosen the eyebrows, although I always did it to prevent damage/scratches etc.
Hans Efde

Postby axshack » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:30 pm

Many thanks Hans....need to do some contortionist work in the morning !!
Dave
axshack

Postby wolfie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:52 pm

If it was a later model the covers were bonded on and you can gett the lights out without removing them but i'd put plenty of masking tape or something around the surrounding area. I slipped with the screw driver taking a spring hook off and created a pretty impressive scratch which meant a simple lens replacement became a filler and paint touch up job
wolfie

Postby axshack » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:24 pm

as it happens today a car reversed into me and smashed the nearside 5.75inch lamp...so I now understand how it works...and luckily enough managed to get a CIBIE replacement at LARKSPEED for a helluva lot less than DEMON TWEEKS wanted !!
axshack

Postby All That Glisters » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:33 pm

If you loop shoelaces or bits of string through the rings at the end of the springs and pull apart gently (you need three hands to do this) you can create a big enough gap to pop the lens into place without having to resort to screwdrivers.

Regards Mark
All That Glisters

Postby Stuart » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:53 pm

Larkspeed have always been the cheapest supplier of Cibie stuff, I've been buying lights from them for around 30 years. I'm surprised at how much they cost these days.
Stuart

Postby Rich » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:26 pm

axshack wrote:as it happens today a car reversed into me and smashed the nearside 5.75inch lamp...so I now understand how it works...and luckily enough managed to get a CIBIE replacement at LARKSPEED for a helluva lot less than DEMON TWEEKS wanted !!

Good grief, is Larkspeed still going? I haven't heard of them since they shut the shop in Cleckheaton.
Rich

Postby axshack » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:30 pm

All That Glisters wrote:If you loop shoelaces or bits of string through the rings at the end of the springs and pull apart gently (you need three hands to do this) you can create a big enough gap to pop the lens into place without having to resort to screwdrivers.

Regards Mark

Hi Mark, many thanks for this hint! makes a lot sense now you have said that !! :D
Dave
axshack

Next

Return to Mk 3 Coupe