Fumes!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Fumes!

Postby axshack » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:54 pm

brilliant set of photos Hans. many thanks for making them available.
I have ordered one of those LCBs so that will be the next big job !
axshack

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:33 pm

That's great, also keep in mind to make a central exhaust mounting. Pictures are also in that directory. Esspecially with the flexjoint the exhaust has the tendency to sag.
Hans Efde

Postby mikeeskriett » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi,

One thing I discovered on my Mk3 was that despite the seal being in good order there was a good inch gap between the seal and the bonnet which let in all sorts of lovely fumes. I put a length of door seal rubber around the intake hole which fixed it. When I get time I plan to tweak the ducting on the bonnet to make it meet the blower and increase the airflow. As others have said the bottom of the steering column, wiper motor cover, cable/pipe runs, pedal box or blower motor base are also possible.

cheers,

Mike
mikeeskriett

Postby kelvink » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:15 pm

I would certainly have a close look at the manifold. I found that mine has a number of cracks caused by the slight mismatch in the thickness of the manifolds inlet and exhaust.

I've had similar exhaust seepage into the cabin with my exe's Citroen zx.
kelvink

Postby Rich » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:13 pm

A dodgy boot seal and short tail pipe will poison you quite effectively, other ways into the boot space could be holes where the bumper mounts to the body, holes for wires etc.
Rich

Postby Jin » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:58 am

Rich wrote:A dodgy boot seal and short tail pipe will poison you quite effectively, other ways into the boot space could be holes where the bumper mounts to the body, holes for wires etc.

thats a good point and i have both, i have noticed the boot stinks after a run, ill do some experimenting

thanks
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:22 pm

This thread has made me thinking. I have the convertible and my jacket and hair smell of oil after a drive. I have been busy past few years sorting out the engine bay. But it couldn't harm buying a bolt on curved exhaust tip to point the fumes downwards.
Hans Efde

Postby mfdriver » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:58 pm

If you ask MANIFLOW they will have everything for a bespoke Midas system - speak to Dave or Chris
And they understand things!
mfdriver

Postby Mtrike » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Hans Efde wrote:This thread has made me thinking. I have the convertible and my jacket and hair smell of oil after a drive. I have been busy past few years sorting out the engine bay. But it couldn't harm buying a bolt on curved exhaust tip to point the fumes downwards.

I used to get this until I got rid of the crankcase breather filters and replaced them with a sucky system. Now not withstanding the odd small oil seepage there is no smell.
Mtrike

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:55 pm

Mtrike wrote:
Hans Efde wrote:This thread has made me thinking. I have the convertible and my jacket and hair smell of oil after a drive. I have been busy past few years sorting out the engine bay. But it couldn't harm buying a bolt on curved exhaust tip to point the fumes downwards.

I used to get this until I got rid of the crankcase breather filters and replaced them with a sucky system. Now not withstanding the odd small oil seepage there is no smell.

After removal of the turbo I have reconnected my crankcase breathers as well to the inlet (with open filters I sometimes saw smoke coming through the bonnet vents) but no effect on the smell. It should help against oil leakage as well.
Hans Efde

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3 Coupe