Gold Coupe Rear Seatbelt Mounting Points

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Gold Coupe Rear Seatbelt Mounting Points

Postby All That Glisters » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:23 pm

Can anyone tell me (or show a photo) where the rear seatbelt mounting points would be if they were fitted by the factory.

I'm guessing that inertia reel belts would have been used with the mechanism mounted low on the rear deck, possibly bolted to the subframe mounting bolt or the spring/shock absorber top mount.

The upper belt mounts could have been just behind the side window, is the bodywork strong enough to take an upper seatbelt mounting?

Looking at some photos of the factory rear seats there seems to be a central hole in the seat squab, is this for the two buckle straps to go through? Where are they attached to the body?

Sorry for all the questions, if I ever get my car back on the road I might need to transport a couple of grandkids in it and their mum would prefer me to do it safely - she forgets that I used to transport her and her friend, both laid in a bean bag in the back of my first Midas.
All That Glisters

Re: Gold Coupe Rear Seatbelt Mounting Points

Postby b1zbaz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:41 am

My dad used to take me and my sisters around lay down in the back of a mini marcos it was ace
b1zbaz

Postby Stuart » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:09 am

I'm pretty certain they only had lap belts on the rear seat, and as you say these were simply bolted to the floor.

I imagine a top mount could be incorporated into the metal seat frame, or utilise the on body side mount that holds the seat back upright.

I'll get some photos of the floor holes and side mounts when I get chance.
Stuart

Postby cubera » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:49 pm

I can confirm that the upper seat-belt mountings were near, and to the rear of the side window in both Mk.2 and 3 midas coupes. My Mk 3 suffered gel-coat cracks on both sides because the mounting bolts were a little too long, and when tightened, pushed against the outer skin of the shell. My two sons, who travelled many, many miles in Midases, usually ignored the seat belts, so they could peer forward over the front seats. They have survived to tell the tale. I suppose things are different these days, judging by the palaver involved in strapping sundry grandkids into theit fancy (expensive!) seats.
cubera

Postby All That Glisters » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 pm

Thanks for the answers people, I bet that I'm not lucky enough to have plates bonded into the bodyshell ready to take upper mounts.

Although I may be able to get a photo with my mobile phone through the speaker hole.

Do I remember (or did I dream) about someone on this forum welding a threaded plate onto some wire so that it could be fed through the speaker hole and held in its required position?

The other thing that springs to mind is that the inner body in this location should have been beefed up to take the mounting, does anyone know if they all were or was it just ones ordered with rear seats?. I suppose that drilling the hole will show me how thick it is.

Mark
All That Glisters

Postby DavidL » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:26 pm

All That Glisters wrote:Do I remember (or did I dream) about someone on this forum welding a threaded plate onto some wire so that it could be fed through the speaker hole and held in its required position?

That might have been me. I can't remember if I posted to that effect, but it's certainly something I have done in the past to manoeuvre an anchoring point (the threaded plate, or a nut brazed or welded to a plate) into an otherwise inaccessible location behind a panel.
DavidL

Return to Mk 3 Coupe