A different Coil-Over solution !

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: A different Coil-Over solution !

Postby axshack » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:23 pm

just trial fitted the new suspension parts, starting to look something like ! :)

will do the other side tomorrow, then test fit to make sure the springs do not foul the body before tidying up the welding with a bit of Hammerite before fitting the engine to the frame then lifting the body over it all !!
Attachments
IMG_0462.JPG
IMG_0462.JPG (540.55 KiB) Viewed 7670 times
axshack

Postby axshack » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:24 pm

DavidL wrote:I've been following this with great interest. Do you see it as a cheaper alternative to the "Watsons springs" arrangement, or are there other benefits to using coilovers?

I just like coil over suspension parts I guess !! :D
axshack

Postby manifold » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:17 pm

Are you not going to put some gussets in? Are you relying on the weld at the bottom of the bracket or is there some extra support elsewhere? Just wondered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby axshack » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:39 am

manifold wrote:Are you not going to put some gussets in? Are you relying on the weld at the bottom of the bracket or is there some extra support elsewhere? Just wondered.

gussets in in the morning, have no fear. this is just a test fit to see if it clears the wheel arch when the subframe is offered up

Still have the other side to do, so I am hoping that it will all be completed tomorrow (Saturday)
axshack

Postby axshack » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:03 pm

OK, Here we go....top mountings with gussets made up and welded in place. Tomorrow's job is to clean up and paint with smooth hammerite. Starting to look good and it all fits well, without fouling the wheel arch. Might have a bit of a problem with the brake servo though, it will be close and hopefully not touching the top of the vertical bracket. I might have to start using a smaller size battery as well, but that is to be decided.

Here are the latest pictures:
IMG_0465.JPG
IMG_0465.JPG (544.5 KiB) Viewed 7642 times

IMG_0464.JPG
IMG_0464.JPG (688.02 KiB) Viewed 7642 times
Last edited by axshack on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
axshack

Postby axshack » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:04 pm

I dont know why these photos are here twice I guess I should be able to delete the extras...going in....!!
axshack

Postby axshack » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:05 pm

Ah, that did it...!! bit of finger trouble at this end !! :)
axshack

A different Coil-Over solution !

Postby manifold » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Cool. Looks great. Why not put the battery in the boot for better weight distribution (and better engine access plus won't get in way of coil overs) and take the servo off and plate the hole. I put a balanced bar brake system In mine and it works great.

Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby axshack » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:21 pm

I thought about moving the battery to the boot....but am worried about voltage drop (probably erroneously)...never considered just ditching the servo I must admit...got a design handy for a balanced bar brake system?
axshack

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:02 am

Use the biggest leads available and voltage drop is minimal. I never have problems with starting. I have to look up what size cables I have, but I remember they cost a fortune.
Concerning brake servo, what's the problem with that? It's vertical so doesn't interfere with anything. I only removed the servo assist because it's useless on a Midas. I prefer to get a good feel in the brakes and they react much quicker. I just made an interconnecting rod and had to bend the brake lines for the lower position of the servo. Also ofcourse I had an adaptor plate made. There is a thread somewhere on this forum about it.
Hans Efde

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3 Coupe