A different Coil-Over solution !

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: A different Coil-Over solution !

Postby Hans Efde » Sat May 21, 2016 7:40 am

wolfie wrote:£875 plus postage from Oz!!!!! Gulp. Think I'll stick with the coilover idea but trying to work out a way to do it as a 'bolt on' kit so everyone could do it easily

Yes that's a lot. But most of it can be bought in England as well. Someone just has to mill the hats which is the clever bit of this kit.
Hans Efde

Postby kelvink » Sat May 21, 2016 9:41 am

I posted a photo a couple of years ago from the Open Day at Alistair's workshop showing a really tidy coilover installation on a MK3

Here's a link viewtopic.php?f=73&t=1934

And here's a photo

Given that we're getting into summer shortly it may be worth making a note of this year's events and the open day. There's always something to learn from and plenty of keen owners too.
kelvink

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sat May 21, 2016 8:00 pm

wolfie wrote:£875 plus postage from Oz!!!!! Gulp. Think I'll stick with the coilover idea but trying to work out a way to do it as a 'bolt on' kit so everyone could do it easily

It cost me $880 Aus including carriage, about £500. Then I got stung for £94 for customs plus VAT
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby manifold » Tue May 24, 2016 8:54 pm

I'm guessing they halved the cost then for just the 2 Geoff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Geoff Butcher » Wed May 25, 2016 8:37 pm

Yes, I imagine so, David. I kept my original bog standard Metro dampers, and all seems satisfactory so far...
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby manifold » Thu May 26, 2016 9:50 pm

It's kind of similar to what we have done (Richard, Hans and I etc) however yours is an easier fit with no mods necessary. I bet the drive feel is the same too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby axshack » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:11 pm

I can report that my version of coilovers seems to be working ok, just clicked 600 running-in the engine miles and the handling is great. Have not lost the riding on rails feeling so all is good right now. :D
axshack

Previous

Return to Mk 3 Coupe