A different Coil-Over solution !

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: A different Coil-Over solution !

Postby axshack » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:49 pm

well, got the engine started today....had a quick 5 mile run....going well although timing is a bit off as it is backfiring occasionally (and would you believe it - my timing light packed up in the middle of using it).

The new engine feels very strong, and finally got the tickover down to 850 !! only taken a year to sort that out !!

Also had to put a 6mm spacer on the front wheels because, on full lock the inner rim fouled the bottom coilover mounting !! thank goodness a simple solution - I guess when I finally get some minilite wheels I will have to watch the offset carefully so I can remove the spacers :)
axshack

Postby axshack » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:02 am

Latest SITREP: Now completed 100 miles. Engine going well and starting to loosen up a bit. There is a very definite jump in performance when the engine "gets on the cam" but as AVONBAR said...DO NOT be tempted to go faster than the run-in period requires !!

Also, the new suspension setup seems to be working very well. Tracking set to Parallel (0 degrees) initially and appears to be just fine. Ride height is good although I think I will soften the dampers just a little bit. Handling is great and now have the "riding on rails" performance back.

So, overall, a good project and looking forward to many miles of Midas motoring :D
axshack

Postby wolfie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:49 pm

I've been watching your suspension progress like a hawk as it's very similar to a design I'd scribbled down. Any chance that you'll be revealing the design and specs on paper for those of us who fancy going down the same route? Really ice work by the way
wolfie

Postby axshack » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:46 am

ah! design and specs! Well, I have to fess up and admit that it was designed on the fly, on my drive with MIG welder in hand !!
Dictated by the coilover system that I purchased. That is the top and bottom mounting brackets.
The main surgery was removal of the Hydragas turrets completely, the welding of the large top brackets into place (by eye) followed by bracing on either side of the bracket to give it good structural strength.
The bottom mounting had to be modified because I assume that the Mini arms are shorter than the Metro for the bracket to fit over the top swivel nut.

All of this I think you can see in the photos.

As for design - we applied the RJ Mitchell view: if it looks good, it probably is.

My only real concern was potential fouling of the top of the wheel arch going into the engine bay, but it clears that very nicely.

If you can work it out from this short description and the photos you shouldn't have a problem. :)
axshack

Postby Geoff Butcher » Thu May 19, 2016 11:18 am

Here's what I've just put on mine:

Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Hans Efde » Thu May 19, 2016 12:34 pm

That's a brilliant solution. So simple, no welding needed. Isn't this the Australian MGF kit I saw on Facebook?
Hans Efde

Postby DavidL » Thu May 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Geoff Butcher wrote:Here's what I've just put on mine:

I'd very much like to know more about this setup - is it available as a kit of parts, or did you make it all yourself?
If it's the former, who makes and/or sells it - and how much?
If it's the latter, any drawings available? ;)

Any info gratefully received!
DavidL

Postby Jin » Thu May 19, 2016 6:38 pm

Its the Aussie kit, ( or at least based upon) my project is similar in principal.

I'd love to know the poundage of those springs.
Would helpe loads , I've had mine made to 4200psi ;) and that was at best a guess
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby Geoff Butcher » Thu May 19, 2016 8:10 pm

Yes, it's the Australian kit, and they'll sell you just the bits you need. I calculated the spring rate to be just under 2200lb/in. They're the MGF fronts, I don't know the rate of the rear ones.
This is them:

http://www.rv8mg.com.au/
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby wolfie » Fri May 20, 2016 11:45 pm

£875 plus postage from Oz!!!!! Gulp. Think I'll stick with the coilover idea but trying to work out a way to do it as a 'bolt on' kit so everyone could do it easily
wolfie

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3 Coupe