Fuel pump intertial switch

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Fuel pump intertial switch

Postby axshack » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi all,
just acquired an ed-Ford intertial switch to cut off the power to the Facet pump in the event of a front end collilsion

Got a question: should the switch be fitted so that the rolling ball inside is horizontal to the ground - or should I fit it with a slight upwards angle so that it operates at high G and NOT when braking heavily?

Cheeers

DAve
axshack

Re: Fuel pump intertial switch

Postby fozzza » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:18 pm

At the moment I'm fitting an inertia switch to my MK 2 but mine is off an MPI mini. I don't know whether the Ford one is the same but mine has a ball inside that moves once the switch is lightly shook, I'm fitting it Vertical so the reset button is at the top and fitting it inside the car on the bulkhead under the dash so if it is triggered off, ie by a speed hump or such like it can easily be reset whilst in the car.
Roy
fozzza

Postby axshack » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:18 am

Great stuff....I wondered about the orientation mostly.
The one I have is the same ball bearing arrangement that is held in place with a magnet.
It seems that vertical placement will cater for ANY impact, not just a front end shunt - and yes, the manufacturer recommends placing the switch inside the car so that the driver is able to reset it without getting out of the car - sounds like a plan to me ! :)
axshack

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:10 am

Great idea, I have to do something as well. Alternatively on the MG Metro turbo the pump was linked to the oil pressure switch. No oil pressure, no running fuel pump.
Hans Efde

Postby axshack » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:40 pm

yes, that is one way to do it Hans.
I like the sound of this inertia switch as it will operate in a crash from any direction and can be reset from the driver's position !! :)
axshack

Return to Mk 3 Coupe