Rear suspension - handbrake cable/coilover bracket

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Rear suspension - handbrake cable/coilover bracket

Postby DavidL » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:39 am

After a long time with these brackets off, it's time to replace them. There were three (I think) spacers of different lengths between the bracket and the radius arm. The bolts go through the backplate, then the radius arm, then the spacers go on, and then the bracket which both secures the bottom of the coilover and anchors the brake cable.
I've lost all the spacers.
Does anyone know what the three different lengths are?
DavidL

Re: Rear suspension - handbrake cable/coilover bracket

Postby Stuart » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:05 am

From the how to guide. viewtopic.php?f=75&t=2475

Stuart wrote:If you lose the two spacers behind the standard handbrake cable hub bracket these M8 6.3mm x 20mm spacers fit perfectly. The originals are 17 mm in diameter. and those bolts can be a right pig to get out as I've just found.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291169910104

Of note also is just how much rust fell out from the open cavity of the radius arm whilst whilst I battled to free the bolt.

Although I gave no thought to how that ties in with the bolt on damper brackets.
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks Stuart.
That eBay link would be fine if I actually knew the lengths of the spacers, although I'll probably just run some up on the lathe. However, the brackets I have will need to be welded up - they were originally welded incorrectly, and I've had to split them apart - I was going to bolt them to the radius arm to align them correctly before re-welding them, and having the correct length of spacer will make it a lot easier!
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:16 am

DavidL wrote:Thanks Stuart.
That eBay link would be fine if I actually knew the lengths of the spacers, although I'll probably just run some up on the lathe. However, the brackets I have will need to be welded up - they were originally welded incorrectly, and I've had to split them apart - I was going to bolt them to the radius arm to align them correctly before re-welding them, and having the correct length of spacer will make it a lot easier!

As in my post the original spacers are 6.3 mm long ;) that's for factory fresh Metro arms.
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:56 am

Stuart wrote:
DavidL wrote:Thanks Stuart.

As in my post the original spacers are 6.3 mm long ;) that's for factory fresh Metro arms.

Ah, I didn't spot that, sorry. One of them may be 6.3mm long, any idea about the lengths of the other two? It looks to me that there should be a spacer on each of the three bolts, and they're all different lengths. The longest is about 30 to 45mm long, I think.
DavidL

Postby Stuart » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:38 pm

I think the two spacers are both 6.3 mm long, the other bolt does not require a spacer. Whether the same can be said of a Midas with the bolt on damper brackets I'm not sure.
Stuart

Postby DavidL » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:49 pm

The brackets I'm trying to reconstruct are the same pattern as the old ones (which had succumbed to rust), and I definitely remember removing three spacers. Two could have been the same size (probably the 6.3mm you mentioned), but the third was definitely a lot longer. Wish I could remember where I put them!
DavidL

Postby fozzza » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:14 pm

On my Mk3, having recently removed all the rear suspension, all 3 spacers were 6.3 thick and they were original Corby brackets but im afraid they are no longer fit for purpose.
Roy
fozzza

Postby DavidL » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:02 pm

I've realised that I don't actually know if my brackets are the original Corby design...
DavidL

Postby DavidL » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:32 pm

fozzza wrote:On my Mk3, having recently removed all the rear suspension, all 3 spacers were 6.3 thick and they were original Corby brackets but im afraid they are no longer fit for purpose.

I've just had a look at your thread, with the photos of the rear subframe.
Then I had another look at my radius arms, and the brackets I have...
It looks like I just need three equal length spacers, the brackets are the same as yours.
I have no idea why I thought there was one long spacer......I'd compare the new bracket with one of the old ones, but I think I had to cut them up to get them off.
DavidL

Next

Return to Mk 3 Coupe