Nearly done.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Nearly done.

Postby johno » Sat May 06, 2017 5:18 pm

Well after a good few hours under 'Ruby' we might get a trip out to the Oil Can Cafe in Hepworth tomorrow. It's had new rear shocks, new tyres, a fuel pressure regulator, new speakers, the rear compartment cover replaced, various other bits of tidying up, a full service and the front Hydrogas units pumped up. All these bits you will be familiar with so no pics of that.
The closeness of the exhaust to the GRP tunel prompted me to fit an aluminium heat shield (Demon Tweeks) and also a new hanger forward of the gearshift as the clamp on the downpipes was failing to hold things level. Top braket and loop are Mini Spares, botton hanger is Halfords. Image
The next problem was an oil leak from the gear selector, solved with a kit which included oil seal, extra bush with O rings and rubber bellows. All seemed well with this but it caused an unexpected problem not obvious at first. I'd replaced the gearbox steady as the rubbers were shot due to the oil leak. I'd used a mini one and modified the brackets to locate it. Anyway on a brief test drive it was jumping out of both 2nd and 4th gear. I suspected the stabiliser as it was a lot firmer than I expected. I put the old one back and used the old rear damper top rubbers (same size) still the same problem. So the only other thing I'd done was the oils seal replacement. Problem found! the two rubber bellows were completely different in length and I'd just assumed the old one was 'tired'. I don't know if there are different ones available so I may just have ordered the wrong part. Anyway the new one was so compressed it was pushing the gear selector back out.
Compare the sizes. Image
Found the old one in the bin cleaned and re-fitted but not tested yet.
Fingers crossed
johno

Re: Nearly done.

Postby Stuart » Sat May 06, 2017 5:53 pm

Yes they can burn right through if you're not careful :o

burnt.jpg
burnt.jpg (498.62 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
Stuart

Return to Mk 3 Coupe