Annoying exhaust rattle on centre tunnel

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Annoying exhaust rattle on centre tunnel

Postby manifold » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:43 am

I dont know if you, like me have been really annoyed with the exhaust rattle on the centre tunnel.
Especially near the drivers side gearchange where the exhaust bends...... Constantly having to adjust it to stop it.

I spoke to Ed (from Netherlands) at Stoneleigh and mentioned that my exhaust pi**ed me off. He said he cured it by fitting an extra mount.

Well, I came home and had a look to see what I could do about it as I thought he had a good point.

The solution I came up with, that has definitely cured the problem was to find a spare mini bobbin, a 6 inch piece of angle iron and an exhaust clamp.

I cut the angle iron in 2 along the long edge a few mm near the 90 degree bend. Drilled 3 holes in the larger piece. 2 to suit the U shape exhaust clamp and 1 near the edge to connect to the second piece.

I then connected to clamp to the exhaust, just before it joins the Y piece and pointed the offset spare hole towards the nearside.

I bent the second piece (now just a straight piece of iron) of angle iron into an L shape and drilled 2 m8 holes centred on each side of the bend. I then drilled a small m8 hole in the nearside of the tunnel inline with the exhaust. Fitted the L bracket onto the bobbin and fitted the bobbin to the hole in the nearside exhaust tunnel. Bolted the L bracket to the exhaust bracket with 1 (stainless) M8 bolt. Ensure that the bobbin is under slight tension so that it pulls the exhaust slightly over to the nearside. If its not, just bend the L bracket a bit to put it under tension. That way it keeps the exhaust from floating about.

Job done. I now don’t have issued with the exhaust knocking. If I need to take head off (which means moving the exhaust back) I just undo the M8 bolt that joins the 2 pieces. This allows the exhaust to freely move about again.

Its one of those things that has always plagued me but not any longer.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Re: Annoying exhaust rattle on centre tunnel

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:41 pm

My exhaust is bolted with a bracket to the diff. housing. Don't you have that bracket? Perhaps it's just for the turbo, but it works fine. I did not have any issues with exhaust knocking until I had to shift it at the back to fit in the undertray hole. Now it is hitting the tunnel at the end (near the rear subframe) occasionally. I'll cure that by realigning the exhaust bracket just in front of the fuel tank.
Cheers, Hans
Hans Efde

Re: Annoying exhaust rattle on centre tunnel

Postby manifold » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:42 pm

I also have that bracket attached to the side covers of the diff and one of the down pipes too, however it only affects the pipes in front of the Y piece (depending on application). After the Y piece there is opportunity for the pipes to move in a see-saw motion as the engine rock accelerates/decelerates (unless the engine is solid mounted with extra dogbones).

Net result is the exhaust can move its position.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Return to Mk 3 Coupe