20 amp indicator?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

20 amp indicator?

Postby Olof » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:25 pm

After a longer term storage, my car has suddenly started to demand a 20 amp fuse in oder to let the indicators work. I thought a 10 amp should be ok. Could this be because of a faulty earth connection? Any ideas where I should search?

Regards
Olof
Olof

Re: 20 amp indicator?

Postby johnnyfixit » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:25 pm

First of all welcome to the club Olof
I've had similar problems like this before stripped the front indicators few rusty connectors here but the bulbs had a type of vasaline on them so the bulb housing was ok .Then I stripped the rear lights one loose wire still no joy turned out to be a bad earth on the flasher unit its self then everything was fine after that

I hate electrics :evil: :evil: :roll:

There are pleanty of other members who are busy doing rebuilds and uprating engines who know the Midas better than my self but hope this helps.
johnnyfixit

Postby Olof » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:03 pm

Thanks, I will have a look at the connections you suggested. I'm a bit suprised since my Midas has been very reliable. But then it's been left standing for over eight months.
Olof

Postby manifold » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:46 pm

Its a weird thing on cars.

I always think that leaving cars standing (outside) does more damage than if they are being used.

Earths especially do seem to suffer from standing so its an issue with GRP cars.

On a side note its well worth making up more earths. In particular joining up front and rear subframes to an extra point on the -ve connector of the battery and spidering into the earth feeds. Especially on critical areas, like engine feeds and lights.

Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Olof » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:00 pm

Cheers, that's a good idea too. The car's been standing in my garage for some time due to me managing to destroy the fuel tank and mistakenly buying a new Rover 100 tank which was a pig to make to fit...
Olof

Postby johnnyfixit » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:41 am

I've heard mini van tanks fit :? some one on here will confirm for you hpoe to see this on the road soon mate
johnnyfixit

Postby manifold » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:43 am

Nice looking Midas by the way.

How about getting some pictures up on here.

I use photobucket and hot link.

Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Olof » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:25 pm

I bought the fuel tank on a whim from Rimmer Bros without really knowing if it would fit or not. The shape is very similar but it seems the Rover 100 has a slightly lager tank, perhaps 35 liters instead of 30 or something on the older Metro. In the end I had to move the the fuel pipes and alter the shape slightly.

I will post some more pictures soon. The small one to the right shows my car at the Swedish MOT (SBP - Bilprovningen). It always gets lots of interest and the young girl doing the check last year had never previously driven a rhd car. Or something so small... Still the she declared it to be in "very good nick".
Olof

Return to Mk 3 Coupe