Track rod ends

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Track rod ends

Postby minisweden » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:12 pm

Nearly finished the job on the front suspension. But one track rod end is a bit stiff, I wonder are they the same on the Midas as on a Mini? They do look similar, and the taper feels OK. Would be nice if they will fit, got plenty of them around. :)
minisweden

Re: Track rod ends

Postby manifold » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:30 pm

hello.

i think they are the same as minis. if its same length then it should be fine.

Mine aren't usually stiff, usually other way round and too slack (ie worn)
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby minisweden » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:41 pm

Yes, from what I can see they will fit. I jacked the Midas up and put it in blocks, when I turned the steering wheel I noticed it was quite heavy. One of the track rod ends was really stiff, can´t manage to move it by hand or with a tool. I guess it´s stuck due to lack of use? Anyway, new one on tomorrow.
minisweden

Postby minisweden » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:09 pm

Got both track rod ends changed now, and yes, the Mini ends are exactly the same. Got another problem though, all the rubber gaitors on the upper and lower ball joints are split. Need to replace them for the test here in Sweden. I see that Minisport list complete ball joint kits for around £8 each. No problem with that, but the cost for sending them is a bit high for just four ball joints. I´ll see if I can locate some rubber gaitors tomorrow, not easy as the Metro was never sold in Sweden. Next time I am in England I´ll stock up with Metro parts :D
minisweden

Postby manifold » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:58 pm

Dont forget that metro ball joints are different to mini ones......and there are 2 different metro ones.

early ones, to 84 have a mini taper but a metro thread. later ones (84-90) have a wider taper.

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby minisweden » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:09 pm

manifold wrote:Dont forget that metro ball joints are different to mini ones......and there are 2 different metro ones.

early ones, to 84 have a mini taper but a metro thread. later ones (84-90) have a wider taper.

Ok, I´ll try a mini taper in the Metro upper arm to se if it fits. Then it would be a Mk1 Metro. Yes?
minisweden

Postby Stuart » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi Ola, I can confirm your car has the early small taper ball-joints that are stocked by Minispares. Although I also believe the rubber parts never seem to last very long. Russell has had the same rubber perishing problem on his Metro parts too, very annoying given the amount of work involved in changing a ball-joint.
Stuart

Postby minisweden » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi Stuart! Thanks. Well the rubbers are gone, but the joints seem ok. But, I might as well change the whole kit if I take it apart. I actually found new ball joints in Sweden, but they are £23 each. Minisport will charge around £8 each, so I will order from there. BTW, the steering rack feels very noisy when you turn it. Sounds and feels much more "rough" than on the Mini. Any ideas on that?
minisweden

Postby Stuart » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:34 pm

Sorry no-ideas on the rack, A few years ago Minispares also had Metro racks in for around £23 brand new, not sure if they still have them, a few Midas people bought them as spares me included, although I sold mine on ebay a while ago.
Stuart

Postby manifold » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:37 pm

yes your right they are a pain.....its worth having a spare set of hubs just so you have them in hand, built up ready to re-install. Especially if your car is a daily driver like mine.

Is the rack rough at the bottom, or is it catching somewhere in the column?

Getting the column inner and outer parallel can be an 'art' if you want to avoid noisy steering.

manifold

Next

Return to Mk 3 Coupe