Miniparts on a Midas?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Miniparts on a Midas?

Postby minisweden » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi! As I have a lot of new and used Mini-spareparts around the house I was wondering what parts are the same on a Midas/Metro and a Mini? Of course I will find out as I go along, but it would be of great help if you experienced Midasowners could fill me in. Thanks/Ola
minisweden

Re: Miniparts on a Midas?

Postby manifold » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi Ola,

You have discovered the issue of the ever decreasing metro parts bin (relevant for Mk3s only).

Heres a few that I know from personal experience as I have done it......

Full engine and gearbox (must be rod change though), including alternator. Interchangeable between Mini/metro (obvious). Watch for clutch mechanism, although easy to alter.
Front upper arm bushes.
Wheel bearings front and rear are interchangeable.
Front and rear bump stops.
Potentially radius arm roller bearings.
Brake systems are interchangeable front and rear, with appropriate master cylinders. I prefer single line systems anyway. A damn site more easier to bleed. ie 5 mins the lot, instead of a couple of hours if you get an airlock in the metro twin line system.
Outer CV joints, including nut and boots
You can get inner CV joints to work too, by discarding the stop ring.....or get some longer ones made up (about 3 inches longer for Metro) like I did, when I had the Ti ones made.
Steering wheel
Aftermarket wheel centre boss is same/similar to mini.

I will add more as I find them / remember them.

Cheers,

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Return to Mk 3 Coupe