I wan't my Midas lower!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

I wan't my Midas lower!

Postby Olof » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:26 am

Hi,

My Gold Coupé stands too proud at the rear. Actually, it looks a bit like a dog with the rump in the air… Unfortunately, my coilovers are of the non adjustable type so I'm thinking about changing the springs.

Any suggestions where I can source shorter (but still progressive) springs? Which type is recommended?

Regards
Olof
Olof

Re: I wan't my Midas lower!

Postby Stuart » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:29 pm

Have a word with Ola, his mk3 has 160lb springs with run-flat springs and I would imagine a similar set-up will suit your car.
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi Olof,

You need height adjustable coilover shockers, i.e. Gaz, Spax, etc.

I disagree with Stuart on the spring rate. I tried 140lbs and they were far too hard, they rattled my teeth. I then went down to 120's, again too hard. I think 90's or 100's would be about correct. He gave you good advice about the helper springs, I think that is essential on a Midas to fit two springs to the one coilover. A very soft spring say 40 or 60lbs and a normal rate of say 100 lbs. This way when the wheel falls into a pot hole, you do not get a severe bang on the suspension as the spring bottoms out, also you can achieve an initial soft spring rate, with the secondary harder spring coming into play as you get a little bit more enthusiastic!

Alan D.
Attachments
Picture6-1[1].jpg
Picture6-1[1].jpg (55.14 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
Alan D.

Postby Olof » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:54 pm

Excellent, I'll remove a spring and compare with Ola. And it sounds like a good idea to have a helper spring.

Thanks
Olof
Olof

Return to Mk 3 Coupe