hydra gas suspension

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

hydra gas suspension

Postby b1zbaz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:21 pm

can i put hydra gas suspension back on the back of my gold even though somebody has put coilovers on
b1zbaz

Re: hydra gas suspension

Postby Stuart » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:29 pm

Yes as long as the subframe hasn't been cut down too much (then you'll another subframe too)

Coilovers were the original standard on a Midas though
Stuart

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:44 pm

If you're looking to get rid of the coil overs, I could be interested..
Rich

Postby Alan D. » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:37 am

b1zbaz wrote:can i put hydra gas suspension back on the back of my gold even though somebody has put coilovers on

Why do you want to do this?

Alan
Alan D.

Postby b1zbaz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:53 pm

i was told it would be a better set up what setup would be best
b1zbaz

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:42 pm

Who told you that hydragas would be better than shocks? The best setup is to keep hydragas as far away as possible from your Midas. Hopefully one day we have a good solution to get rid of the front hydragas as well.
Hans Efde

Postby Alan D. » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:03 pm

Hello Barry,

Hydro gas suspension is not as good as coil overs in my opinion, it has a very limited travel and when you pump it up to increase your ride height, you then make the suspension harder as you increase the pressure. Then the car starts skipping across the road. Some hydro gas cars have shock absorbers and some not! The car feels floaty without them!Read my experiences on hydro gas on Hans's excellent forum magazine, elsewhere on this board.

You are doing a good job as it is, just get the car working, then on the road. As you do this, you will learn about the car, so change nothing until you get the car running and on the road, that way it will be cheaper, than trying to reinvent the wheel! I.E. a new set of coil overs and the corresponding springs will cost in the order of £300. When you have run the car for a few months, then think about your changing a few things to suit your personal view.Try and team up with some other Midas owners local to you. We do it in the N.E., so I know it works! A trouble shared etc..

Everyone on this forum is happy to help, so keep asking the questions! We have all done differing jobs on the Midas, so use everyone's experiences, then make up your own mind. Hans has turbo'ed, David had KAD'ed and coiled spring-ed the front. Some people have fitted K-series engines. Rich has done an excellent standard refurbishment ( with extra relish). So there is a wealth of knowledge to help you!

Keep up the good work.

Regards alan
Alan D.

Postby b1zbaz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:12 pm

thank you for your help alan just got back from working on it and the engine actually ticks over now which i am amazed at as i havedone nothing other than put new fuel lines in and a new fuel pump need to sort the wiring as it had an alarm immobiliser and remote central locking the loom is a mess and i dont have a clue about car electrics gonna have to buy a haynes manual
b1zbaz

Postby manifold » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:07 pm

Rich, if your after some coil over brackets I will have a pair free in a couple of months.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Rich » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:24 am

manifold wrote:Rich, if your after some coil over brackets I will have a pair free in a couple of months.

Yes please!
Rich

Next

Return to Mk 3 Coupe