MED engine detune and overhaul

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: MED engine detune and overhaul

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:48 pm

I changed the timing but still nothing. I wonder if I have a real spark inside the engine. I have a glass spark plug and will check Friday. Also to be save I'll change the distributor. It smells a bit plastic after turning over the engine, like something is melting. As a last step I will try my spare coil.
Hans Efde

Postby Geoff Butcher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Is the choke working correctly? Are the plugs wet or dry after you've been turning it over?
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:24 pm

Yes the choke is working although I could adjust it a bit because it has more play than mentioned in the manual. Plugs are wet, so petrol is getting in. I've been pumping the gas and the choke in order to make the engine at least cough once. But the mixture does not ignite. It is old fuel mixed with new fuel, but the old fuel worked fine in my Yamaha outboard motor, so it should ignite in this engine too.
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:32 am

It might be worth putting a blow torch on the plugs to clean the crap off them if they have gone wet.

Blow torch the cylinders too with the plugs out. Stand back while doing it though lol. They will swoosh as the fuel burns off.

While the plugs are still warm from cleaning off refit them and try starting again.

Is there oil in the carb damper? Is float assembly and plunger working properly...not sticking and over fueling?
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:58 am

manifold wrote:It might be worth putting a blow torch on the plugs to clean the crap off them if they have gone wet.

Blow torch the cylinders too with the plugs out. Stand back while doing it though lol. They will swoosh as the fuel burns off.

While the plugs are still warm from cleaning off refit them and try starting again.

Is there oil in the carb damper? Is float assembly and plunger working properly...not sticking and over fueling?

Yes, the carb damper is oiled and I disassembled and checked the whole carb because it had been standing still for a long time. But all was fine except for the piston vent holes that were blocked by the gasket.
I think it's a good idea to dry the cylinders. Usually the fuel vaporates because the engine is warm, but mine is still stone cold. Thinking about it, it's possible there is also still conservation oil in the cylinders because I saw it spraying out when I was turning the engine for oil pressure (and had the spark plugs removed). Maybe this messes up the combustion.
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:56 am

its possible that this oil has fouled the plugs as well as diluting the mixture...before you could get a good starting spark.

I'd try drying out the cylinders using the method I suggested and clean off the plugs. A lot easier than on the 7 port as I have to take the carbs off to remove the plugs.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby All That Glisters » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:36 pm

I don't know if you can get away with this sort of thing in Holland but have you tried towing the car around and letting the clutch out to turn the engine over faster than the starter motor can? In fact do you know if the starter motor is giving full speed, could you try one of your other starters?

This is seriously infuriating when a forum full of experts can't manage to start a sixty year old engine, then again my fiftysix year old wife takes some getting started these days.

Don't let it get you down, you'll laugh about it one day.

Regards Mark
All That Glisters

Postby b1zbaz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:46 pm

I hope you start it Han you've been very helpful to me on this forum and don't deserve the frustrations of your own car going funny good luck I hope it starts for you on friday
b1zbaz

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:29 pm

Thank you guys for all help. I am not frustrated anymore. I've spilt my blood, sweat and tears during the rebuild, so I am relaxed now. Due to the problems I've canceled my participation for the car show on the local tv station, so that stress is gone as well. Fingers crossed it starts tomorrow.
Hans Efde

Postby b1zbaz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:33 pm

Fingers crossed mate what Time you trying tomoz I'm gonna check here for hopefully good news
b1zbaz

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3 Convertible