Changing steering rack

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Changing steering rack

Postby max midas » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:16 pm

In the Haynes manual it says you can remove the steering rack by taking off the clamps and the track rod ends, disconnect the steering column, then pull the rack out from the drivers side.
Has anyone managed this? Or is the Midas fit a bit too tight around the rack?
max midas

Re: Changing steering rack

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:30 am

Yes, you can't do this on a Midas because the bulkhead is too close to the subframe. I believe the way to do this is to unbolt the rear subframe mounts and to lower it a little bit.
Hans Efde

Postby max midas » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:45 pm

Glad I wasn't going mad then.
Raising the body from an unbolted subframe is what I have in mind once my fingers and toes have defrosted!
max midas

Postby manifold » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:14 pm

the way is to unbolt one front and one rear mount and rotate the subframe downward on the remaining axis (as the mounts are inline front to rear).

You might need to take exhaust off to allow this too.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Maphet » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:20 pm

the way is to unbolt one front and one rear mount and rotate the subframe downward on the remaining axis (as the mounts are inline front to rear). You might need to take exhaust off to allow this too.

Just fitted a new rack and thought I would confirm that that this is perfectly correct, but that (unless your mounts are less firmly attached than mine) removing the subframe mounts is the majority of the job, needs two people and should not be attempted without replacement bolts for the mounts as they tend to shear.

Supporting the subframe and jacking the car up on the way down and then jacking the subframe up to meet the body on the way down gives far better control and tapping with a wooden mallet helps to persuade it in both directions (while pushing by hand is largely ineffective). the rest of the job is simple.

One other thing. I fitted a simple rubber disk to replace the old disk that connects the steering column to the rack. Don't use these as mine had become dangerously deformed in a matter of months - get the heavy duty one with the metal surrounds as this will not fall apart. Likewise, the pinchbolt should be replaced with a longer high tensile steel bolt to allow you to add a locknut as mine had come loose again in a couple of months.
Maphet

Return to Mk 3 Convertible