Pumping up the Hydragas by hand!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Pumping up the Hydragas by hand!

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:17 pm

I depressurized my hydragas units to make room for springs. I removed about 3/4 of a confiture jar of liquid per sphere. I used a screwdriver to push the Schroeder valve and caught the spray with a small bucket.
Hans Efde

Postby Maphet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:34 am

I depressurized my hydragas units to make room for springs. I removed about 3/4 of a confiture jar of liquid per sphere. I used a screwdriver to push the Schroeder valve and caught the spray with a small bucket.

Yet more good news! That's pretty well what I expected; I wonder why all the guides I can find insist you have to take the car to a garage to have it done?
Maphet

Postby Rich » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:07 am

Maphet wrote:
Swapping the spheres at the front is as easy as you suspect. Let the pressure out, unbolt the side plate and pull the sphere out. To make it eaven easier you could remove the valve core, fully compress the suspension and replace the core, the rod should remain retracted. The biggest problem is usually caused by the ball joint sticking in the sphere due to corrosion.

That's good news, I thought it looked pretty simple, but you really can't tell until you have done it. Is letting the pressure out as exciting as I worry it might be or is it just a fairly predictable flood of fluid? I have to confess that given the number of pumps it took to get a partially pressurised system up to pressure I rather suspect that an unpressurised one may take all day...

It's more smelly and messy than exciting.
Rich

Postby Maphet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:33 pm

I'll take smelly and messy over 'exciting' most days of the week. Thanks all for the reassurance.
Maphet

Postby Rich » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:12 pm

Maphet wrote:I'll take smelly and messy over 'exciting' most days of the week. Thanks all for the reassurance.

It doesn't taste too good either.... don't ask.
Rich

Previous

Return to Mk 3 Convertible