Batteries?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Batteries?

Postby Rich » Fri May 11, 2012 12:12 am

The battery on my Midas has just about had it, anyone at the gates of Stoneleigh on Monday would have seen Ben pushing it to restart it after I forgot to turn the side lights off for a few minutes.

I'd like to move the battery into the boot and preferably have a slim one that could be mounted on the bulkhead so that I'm not losing a load of space back there. The batteries from the likes of Varley cost roughly double what I'd expect to pay for a 'normal' sized battery. Are there cheaper alternatives out there?
Rich

Re: Batteries?

Postby manifold » Fri May 11, 2012 11:34 am

Hi Rich.

Not sure if you saw them at previous shows but PowerVampRacing do a small battery. If you get the 32mm squared cable (absolutely required for boot batteries) you will be able to use the PVR25. I use one of these on the convertible.

http://powervampracing.com/detail.asp?ID=23

Savings can be had by not using their alloy mounting bracket but I went for it as its shiney. Supposed to be good battery for 10 years....if you dont let them go flat. Mine holds a charge all winter on the spare.

To be honest its the battery cable and connectors which is the costly bit as you need about 6-7 metres of each to get round the car. For qhuick release and jump starts I wired in some anderson connectors which tidy the job up.

It may be prudent to get one of those special computerised trickle chargers but its not essential.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Re: Batteries?

Postby Rich » Mon May 14, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi David,

It was your installation and the subsequent room it freed up under the bonnet that got me going down this route. I agree 100% on the bracket as getting the thing up and out of the way is part of the plan, I use the underfloor storage in the boot so I don't want to be fixing a battery by its base either.

I've missed a couple of likely Odyessy batteries on Ebay this week, damn mobile phones and slow connections at the vital moment!

I can afford to wait for one to come up at the right price as I can always put the battery on charge while I'm at work and it's not an issue unless I'm using the lights and heated screen all the time.
Rich

Return to Mk 3 Convertible