Powerflex bushes are rubbish?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Powerflex bushes are rubbish?

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:42 am

I just installed the new Powerflex bushes in my lower front suspension arms like this:
The blue ones are actually purple.

I expected a bit of a fight but they just slide in. To make matters worse the yellow ones (p/n pff63-203) are undersized. The have an outside diameter of 26mm while the hole in the arm is 27mm. The rubber that came out is 28mm so that was free of any play while the new ones have noticable play. How are these thing going to keep my wheel steady with so much play in them? Has anyone experience with Powerflex bushes? Is this normal?
Hans Efde

Re: Powerflex bushes are rubbish?

Postby Rich » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:23 pm

Do they still have the play after the tube has gone in?

All the ones I've fitted have slid in but I wouldn't expect play after the tube has gone in.
Rich

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:35 pm

Yes there is still a lot of play with the stainless steel tube in. The purple ones went easy in as well, but have the perfect fit. With the steel tubes in these feel solid. But the yellow one can be rocked fore and aft and you see them moving. I hope Powerflex have an answer to this, else I have to install original ones or install a 1mm thick steel sleeve.
Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Something not right there then Hans. I haven't tried their inner bushes as the ones I made are still going strong in that position, I have their bushes on the ARB with no problems at all.
Rich

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:35 pm

I've been contacted by Powerflex. I hope they have a solution for me. Pretty annoying this. Without the arms I can't put the subframe back into the car and build the suspension up. I should be getting my engine back within a few weeks so the schedule is getting a bit tight.
Hans Efde

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:40 pm

Just an update, I've had contact with the engineering department and they intend to make a correct size bush for me and then will catalogue it. I need to take measurements from my suspension arm unless someone in the neighbourhood of Powerflex has the correct spare suspension arm in the garage and is willing to lend it to Powerflex. Possibly the undersized bush is for a pre-84 Metro but it would be nice if someone could confirm that. My suspension is from a 1989 1.3l Austin Metro, so the post 84 suspension. If anyone can comment on this please do. This is an almost unique opportunity to have the perfect bush manufactured.
Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:54 pm

I'll have a look tonight Hans, I might have written down the dimensions when I made my own, mine is an 89 frame.
Rich

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Rich wrote:I'll have a look tonight Hans, I might have written down the dimensions when I made my own, mine is an 89 frame.

Thanks Rich, then I can compare your measurements with mine.
Hans Efde

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:56 pm

This is how my eye ends look like:
To my surprise the OEM bush FAM5006 is used for pre and post 84 Metro's, so that dimension never changed.
Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Hans Efde wrote:
Rich wrote:I'll have a look tonight Hans, I might have written down the dimensions when I made my own, mine is an 89 frame.

Thanks Rich, then I can compare your measurements with mine.

Just looked in my book of measurements and they aren't in there unfortunately.
Rich

Next

Return to Mk 3 Convertible