Front wheel bearings.

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Front wheel bearings.

Postby DavidL » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Rich wrote:I fitted the spacer and it allows you to gorilla the nut without locking the bearings up, either way should work I suppose. The car is much smoother as a result with less knocking and banging, still got a vibration on braking at speed but I'm feeling it through the car and pedal rather than through the steering wheel so I think I need to look at the rear bearings as well. At least I know that I've already got taper rollers in there already.

I've always been a bit confused as to whether the two inner races should be kept apart (either by extended centres or an intermediate spacer), or have free space between so as to allow full adjustment. I suppose if the inner and outer races are really accurately made, and the hub is too, it should be possible to know exactly how far apart the inners need to be, but even if that were the case, then as soon as a bit of wear took place, they would be out of adjustment.

I've fitted taper rollers to wheel hubs before, and thought that they had to have all the slack adjusted out, then the nut had to be backed off just slightly till it rotated freely without binding. I'm not saying that's the way to do it, but that's the way I THOUGHT it had to be done.
DavidL

Re: Front wheel bearings.

Postby manifold » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:02 pm

I agree. With taper rollers they are not just used on the Mini. You do the same on other modern cars too. Turn on till tight then back off a touch till then spin free. The castle nut and split pin dictates the pressure....otherwise as you say, when they wear, which they do they will go loose....otherwise I don't see the point in having taper rollers. Certainly works for me.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Previous

Return to Mk 3 Convertible