ROVER 100 REAR SUBFRAME/RADIUS ARMS ?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

ROVER 100 REAR SUBFRAME/RADIUS ARMS ?

Postby AllanH » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Hi All,

Would welcome any input : Regrettably have just found on "new" Mk 3 convertible that I'm completing (recently bought from previous owner who built 90% of the car) that the rear subframe is distorted - enough to need replacing. Guess his doner Metro had a bang that was enough to put a bend in the subframe. It's canted up by 5mm at the outer end of the nearside hence the radius arm sits at an angle. Noticed it when fitting some Metro Turbo wheels (just bought) and saw that tyre inner wall is fouling the coil spring.
Anyway, has to be replaced !
Ideally want a brand new Metro rear subframe (just dreaming - unless anyone knows (happy with a good old one)) - but am looking at getting one from a Rover 100 at our excellent local breakers.
Does anyone know of any reason why I can't use this (Rover 100 subframe)?
If the Rover 100 subframe itself is OK to use/fit, I know that the rear hub of the R100 has a different wheel stud pitch circle diameter to that of the Metro ( 3.75" for the former. 4" for the latter) and having just bought some OK wheels with 4" pcd and with the front of the car being 4" pcd, don't want to change).
Any thoughts on interchangeability of radius arms or hubs/drums between the types to allow me to use the Rover 100 subframe (if this can be used) with Metro radius arms/hubs (with wheel studs at 4" pcd)?
Advice/guidance welcomed !
cheers

A slightly dispirited allanh
AllanH

Re: ROVER 100 REAR SUBFRAME/RADIUS ARMS ?

Postby Richard moss » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:18 am

You could try signing up at he Metro Owners club forum and asking on here. They're a helpful bunch. Www.metroownsersclub.org/forum
Richard moss

Re: ROVER 100 REAR SUBFRAME/RADIUS ARMS ?

Postby ACourtney » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi Allan,

It is possible to use the Rover 100 rear subframe and to fit your existing radius arms onto it. There are a few detail differences, like extra brackets and tie-down loops, but it is essentially the same as the original Metro subframe.
New or barely used subframes come up on ebay from time to time, so it is worth keeping an eye open. Rimmer Bros sold off their remaining stock a couple of years ago and a lot were snapped up by Midas owners. However, a couple of the buyers reported back with alignment problems.

I have recently had a couple of sets of subframes galvanized, which is perhaps the best hope for a longer lasting rear subframe judging by how well galvanized trailers last. I will make a separate post and include the costs and some photos in a couple of days time.

Regards,
Alistair
ACourtney

Return to Mk 3 Convertible