Rear Disc conversions

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Rear Disc conversions

Postby Rich » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:24 pm

On the machining question, wouldn't machining down the central spigot then mean the wheel is supported solely on the bolts instead of them just holding the wheel against the face while the spigot takes the strain?
Rich

Postby Alan D. » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:01 am

Rich wrote:On the machining question, wouldn't machining down the central spigot then mean the wheel is supported solely on the bolts instead of them just holding the wheel against the face while the spigot takes the strain?

HI Rich,

Yes you are correct,but if you look at, the. KAD/mini hubs, they have no spigots.

My only argument for machining the hubs is that it is a once only job, the you can just change discs whenever. But on saying that, how often would you change rear discs on a Midas?
The discs are easier to machine and if I do a kit of parts, I can easily obtain discs rather than hubs!
Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:16 pm

I've just had 4 or 5 hours in the garage, done a few jobs, started with tidying up. Then I removed a steering rack from a a Mk3, a job I'd been putting off!

I had to make some space for a radial arm saw and there was an MG F rear subframe in the way. So The only way I could move the subframe was to strip out the hubs and drive shafts in order to make it lighter, as it was too heavy for me to move by myself. Old age I could have done it some years ago.

This gave me a rear disc and calliper from the "F". I tried the hub disc and calliper in a 13" wheel and it seemed to fit, more importantly the disc looked as though it would fit over the Metro hub. So the only thing wrong would be the PCD. Which could be re-drilled.

The "F" calliper is not ideal, as the hand brake mechanism points to the centre of the car, i.e... at 90* to the wheel. The Rover 200 calliper is my preferred choice as the handbrake mechanism follows the same lines as the original Midas cable (less work).

So I wondered, could we use an MG F rear disc and the Rover 200 calliper. I wondered what the difference in offset and diameter is? This looks like a job for "Stuart", could you find drawings of both discs and compare them. I have the "F" discs, but not the Rover ones as they are at the machine shop.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Stuart » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:50 pm

http://bremboaftermarket.com/En/Car_Dis ... ster=21348

Slightly annoyingly the Brembo site doesn't seem to list MGF discs.

Rover 200
Part Number : DSK2036
| Brake Disc Thickness [mm]: 10
| Brake Disc Type: Solid
| Centering Diameter [mm]: 61,1
| Diameter [mm]: 239
| Height [mm]: 48,1
| Hole Arrangement / Number: 04, 08
| Minimum Thickness [mm]: 8
| Pitch Circle [mm]: 100
| Supplementary Article/Supplementary Info 2: Without wheel hub
| Supplementary Article/Supplementary Info 2: Without wheel studs
| Weight [kg]: 3,2
| Fitting Position: Rear
PART NUMBER: DSK257

Make : Rover (MG)
Model/Engine Siz : MGF 1.6i
Model Name : MGF
Year : 2/2000
Fuel Type : Petrol
Disc Type : Solid
Disc Diameter : 240.0mm
Disc Thickness : 10.0mm
Min Thickness : 8.0mm
Disc Overall Height : 43.0mm
Centering Diameter : 66.0mm
Disc Mounting : 4
Front/Rear : Rear
Disc Quantity : 2
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:57 pm

Well done, that was quick! You could start your own website "Compare the Disc .Com"!

The look pretty similar to me, a mm difference here and there, but I think it's a goer. I'll try and get the PCD re-drilled on the ones I have in stock. They are old and rusty, but I don't really want to spend £40 or £50 on a new set!

I've just noticed the "F" disc is the front one, I wonder if the rear is any difference. The main difference between the two is the"overall disk height" but I could alter the adapter bracket thickness.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Stuart » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:09 pm

If I was to try, I'd still start with these discs myself
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eicher-Rear-B ... 43ae972e56

Brake Disc Thickness [mm]: 9; Brake Disc Type: Full; Centering Diameter [mm]: 65; Diameter [mm]: 232; Height [mm]: 39,4; Hole Arrangement / Number: 04/05; Minimum Thickness [mm]: 7; Pitch Circle Ø [mm]: 100; Weight [kg]: 2,5;

Possibly no hub or disc machining required, nice and cheap, and any caliper off-set issues taken care of with the mounting bracket (possibly) whether or not the wheel has room for the caliper another 8.7mm outwards from the position of the 200 disc is something you'd need to look at first.

Or search for your perfect disc! http://bremboaftermarket.com/En/Car_Dis ... &SearchC=4

Alan have you considered buying a plasma cutter for all the work you're doing?
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:45 pm

Because we are not relying on the hub centre hole, the 65 mm hole. I think we need to make a good job of the PCD and stud holes to keep everything concentric and in balance, so I think I would like to make these holes a good fit. The hub does not really support the disc as I see it. What does everyone else think?

That disc looks a good option, if we re-drill it. It will fit without re-drilling but it will be a sloppy fit!

I'm off out now to see a fake Abba concert. I think I would rather go to the garage on this dark and cold night, but I do have a kettle now, shear luxuries! Father Christmas brought it!

Alan
Alan D.

Previous

Return to Mk 3 Convertible