Rear Disc conversions

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Rear Disc conversions

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:34 pm

Yes I am not going to do this as well until my engine is fitted and running (and I know what I have to pay the engine builder!). It should be finished by now. There is a local tv team that want to film my car for an enthusiast tv series with viewers voting for the best car. Since it has to be done on short term I'll pop the distributor back in and install a carburettor (have to loan it from my brother since I've sold mine). After the filming I'll dive into the injection mod. and do the brake mod. at the same time.
Hans Efde

Postby Alan D. » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:43 pm

Stuart wrote:The Rover 200 disc is going to need some machining to fit. I'm only half interested in this as I actually prefer to have drums on the rear.

A quick look for a disc with a big enough centre hole found these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Brake-Di ... 416b455b45

I guess there must be discs out there that have the required 65mm ish hole (can someone else double check that on a rear hub of theirs please?)

This ebay seller has all the dimensions of discs http://stores.ebay.co.uk/gsfcarparts/Di ... m14&_pgn=8

Oh and I just realised the disc I tried must have been a Micra disc as I see the Vauxhall disc have a large centre hole.

Edit This looks about the best option perhaps http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Brake-Di ... 5895152de2

Same seller but cheaper :? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Brake-Di ... 4168bee8dc

and slightly cheaper http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eicher-Rear-B ... 0691952214?
pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVW%7CModel%3APolo&hash=item43ae972e56

I've just been up to the garages, to pickle the brake callipers in vinegar, these were the callipers I removed yesterday . I remembered I had another set on a shelf somewhere. I found them I bought them from a breaker on EBay. when I first considered this idea, on inspection there are bits missing, so just a word of warning if anyone is contemplating buying loose callipers. I bought a whole rear beam at a later date, but I've wasted my money on the first set of callipers! But on a more positive note I found a pair of rear hubs, with the wheel studs removed.

The hub looks to me as it is made from cast steel, the outer portion where the centre hole of the calliper would slide over and centralise the calliper on the hub, is indeed 65 mm diameter and I don't think it is a machined surface. The hub face is machined leaving high spots in the corner. I think it would possible be prudent to machine this outer portion down to 61 mm, the same as the bore on disc rotor. this way we wouldn't need to machine the disc. Machining the hub would be easier as it is a smaller component to fit in a lathe chuck.

The next question is do we really need to re-drill the PCD on the disc rotor, as it will easily fit over the Metro wheel studs, although it's a very sloppy fit! The rotor will turn and stop on the wheel studs at the brake application or do we try and lock it in place with securing screws! Machining the hub and not the disc rotor means that the rotor being a wearoutable component can be kept in standard form and just replaced.

Alternately as Stuart and Hans have already done, continue the search for the perfect disc rotor!

Hope this all makes sense!!!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Stuart » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:57 pm

As Alan says don't forget the calliper carrier

Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Stuart wrote:As Alan says don't forget the calliper carrier

You are quite correct Stuart, that's what was missing!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby DavidL » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:25 am

I've been watching this thread with much interest, as it's something I'd be keen to do as well.

Something that occurred to me, which I haven't seen mentioned yet, is matching the radial depth of the disc pads with the swept area of the disc on the donor car, especially since you're using discs and calipers from different vehicles. Is this actually important, if the pads are smaller than the disc's donor? I'm thinking about it from the point of view of the unswept area of the disc eventually developing surface rust, rather than unmatched braking force.
DavidL

Postby Alan D. » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:16 pm

David L wrote:I've been watching this thread with much interest, as it's something I'd be keen to do as well.

Something that occurred to me, which I haven't seen mentioned yet, is matching the radial depth of the disc pads with the swept area of the disc on the donor car, especially since you're using discs and calipers from different vehicles. Is this actually important, if the pads are smaller than the disc's donor? I'm thinking about it from the point of view of the unswept area of the disc eventually developing surface rust, rather than unmatched braking force.

Hi David,
Thanks for posting,
At the moment, I'm using Rover 200 discs and pads, so everything should match. I'm going to have the Metro hubs machined and re-drill the stud holes in the disc rotor to the Metro PCD. mainly because that's the components which I have in stock and I know its been done before. I've been away for the weekend, but I'll make some more progress next week.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:59 am

A little progress, I'm going to pick the adapter plates from the laser cutting people this afternoon. They have also introduced me to a machine shop, so going to take the metro hubs and possibly some Mini hubs to get a quote for machining. I'm guessing that this conversion will also fit Mark 1/2 Midas's and Mini's, if you can fit 13" wheels to them. But I don't know if that's feasible!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:16 am

Here is a photo of David's KAD set up, it also shows his Titanium rear beam.

Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:36 pm

Just a little update. I've picked up the adapter plates and fitted them to a radius arm, basically it works, but with these particular brackets they only pick up two of the three back plate mounting holes. So if it is a success, I'll redesign the adapter plates to pick up all three holes. I cannot move the project on, as I'm awaiting the hubs being machined. The engineering shop is too busy at the moment and he has staff wanting to take holidays! Holidays, far too good to the working classes, that is what I say!!!
I've also got three welding and fabrication jobs on the go, but my welder is broken and away at the repairers. So I'm stuck on all fronts at the moment, which is probably just as well. My daughter has a severe case of woodworm in her living room floor. So I'm replacing that at the moment.

alan
Alan D.

Rear Disc conversions

Postby b1zbaz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:37 am

Would rear discs not make the Midas prone to swapping ends with mine tries doing it now occasionally when it's icy or slightly damp
b1zbaz

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3 Convertible