Rear Disc conversions

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Rear Disc conversions

Postby DavidL » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:36 am

b1zbaz wrote:Would rear discs not make the Midas prone to swapping ends with mine tries doing it now occasionally when it's icy or slightly damp

It shouldn't if the operating pressure is reduced enough.
I presume you do have a pressure reduction valve of some sort on yours? Sounds like there's too much pressure going to the rear brakes and they're locking up before the fronts.
DavidL

Postby Alan D. » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:26 am

I had to go up to the garages this morning so I thought I'd take some pictures as to how far I'd got with this project. Which is not very far! At the moment I'm stuck as I'm waiting for the hubs to be machined, but maybe I should get the discs machined instead. What does everyone think? The hubs are difficult to hold in a chuck as non of the surfaces are parallel. The only parallel surface is the bore of the hub! The centre hole for the disks could be bored out and the stud holes re-drilled to 4" PCD.The callipers have not been cleaned as yet and the adapter plates are just pined to the radius arm with a couple of bolts. So it's just a temporary mock to see how it looks!

As I said in an earlier post, if it works I'll redesign the adapter plates, to take all three backplate holes, as fixings, also these holes will need enlarged to take 10mm bolts.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby manifold » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:43 am

Alan.

My adapter plates for the Kad calipers have a circular hole to fit over the stub outer rim. The 3 bolt holes on the radius arm then bolt the plates to the arm. Counter sunk in the front face of plate with nuts on back. Very solid.

I hope that helps. Will try and do you some pics sometime if you want of the plates.

David
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Alan D. » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:47 am

manifold wrote:Alan.

My adapter plates for the Kad calipers have a circular hole to fit over the stub outer rim. The 3 bolt holes on the radius arm then bolt the plates to the arm. Counter sunk in the front face of plate with nuts on back. Very solid.

I hope that helps. Will try and do you some pics sometime if you want of the plates.

David

Hi David,
I'd had exactly the same thoughts. I wish I'd checked them before I got the laser cutting done, as they were quite expensive in stainless.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby manifold » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:52 am

These KAD plates are ally too. So maybe you could do a some practice ones in ally before going to stainless.

Maybe no need to go Stainless....and they dissipate heat better I would guess.

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Stuart » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:11 pm

Here's a KAD one.

Stuart

Postby manifold » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:51 pm

Cheers Stuart. Saved me getting the camera out. Those disks are different to mine too!

manifold

Postby Stuart » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Yes they're a bit different as you say David

Alan is that your MK 3 Convertible in one of the photos ?
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:42 pm

[quote]Alan is that your MK 3 Convertible in one of the photos ? [quote]

Yes Stuart, I have three altogether now. Hopefully there will be some rationalisation, in the coming year. I just want to end up with one K-series convertible. that one in the picture is another A-series.

Alan
Alan D.

Postby DavidL » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Alan D. wrote:
Alan is that your MK 3 Convertible in one of the photos ?

Yes Stuart, I have three altogether now. Hopefully there will be some rationalisation, in the coming year. I just want to end up with one K-series convertible. that one in the picture is another A-series.

Alan

Alan, please stop tempting me!

Despite me having said I don't want a Midas convertible, I am notoriously fickle...
DavidL

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 3 Convertible