installation of doorseal

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

installation of doorseal

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:17 am

Last week I received 6 meters of doorseal that's wide enough to go over the thick GRP edge. Especially the A-pillar is 8mm thick. I bought this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260933488463? ... 1497.l2649
Until now my car looked untidy with 3 seperate pieces and the windscreen corners uncovered. I want to use the rubber to make a complete loop from the left door aperture, over the windscreen to the right door aperture.

I tried it today and got problems on the corner where the edge of the A-pillar makes a S-turn and then goes horizontal. I see on pics all rubbers making nice S-curves. But mine won't make that curve. Can anyone advise how to get a decent fix?
Do I glue the rubber?
Do I have to smooth the curve of the A-pillar?
Do I have to make cuts in the rubber?
Hans Efde

Re: installation of doorseal

Postby manifold » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:37 am

I had mine as a single piece Hans, but it always seemed to leak that way and like you said, its awkward in the S of the top of the screen. The steel bands get stretched all over the place. It looks tidier though.

Eventually I went to 3 pieces tidied up with black sikaflex in the ends as that seemed to leak less. I haven't been out in the rain though since i had my upside down header rail.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:12 am

Yes, mine now look like this:
It's something you notice immediately when getting into the car, so it's pretty horrid and kitcarish.

I wonder if I can take that corner off like marked:

Because when you close the door, it doesn't seem to do anything:
Hans Efde

Postby manifold » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:42 pm

I think my u strip goes down to meet the door seal Hans. My header rail lip doesnt seem as thick as yours. I ground the back edge off mine to create a taper for the seal to grip to
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Okay, I've almost sorted it. I cut the edge off:

Then put the seal on:
Much better than the previous situation with loose parts.
Now I have to fix the corners. They look like this:
I think I have to make a few cuts to remove the bulges and bond the rubber to the frame to let them stick. Even this rubber isn't wide enough for my window frame.
Hans Efde

Postby lankyjames » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Hans I am struggling to get this to fit with my doors. I cannot physically get the door to shut / lock! maybe they need a little squishing!

The rear seal I purchased on the other hand works a treat!
lankyjames

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:02 am

Yes, the doors need more force to close when the seals are new. But once they settled it will go easier. It may take a few weeks and warmer weather for the seals to wear in. On your coupe make sure they go around the doorcard. On the convertible the seal touches the doorcard, but on the coupees I had the seal touching the door. The doorcard falls inside seal line. That was the reason for water getting into my coupee because rainwater runs at the back of the doorcard onto the seal and then inside the car. On my website there are solutions for this in the technical section.
Hans Efde

Postby lankyjames » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:02 am

I think I'll be getting a rachet strap and holding the doors in for a few weeks in the garage then!

Otherwise they look really good, will check the bottom seal edge to the door card this week.

Also managed to score a decent working sunroof that I need to get fitted.
lankyjames

Return to Mk 3 Convertible