Wheel bearings

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Wheel bearings

Postby Alan D. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:06 pm

I'm doing a bit of a tidy up on a convertible, not a top class rebuild. But I need to make it safe as my daughter will be using it over the summer. Then it will be taken off the road again in the winter, for further development. The car was jumping out of gear so I've removed the engine and gearbox, I took it it through the top! I then noticed it needed steering rack and CV joint gaiters, so I removed the front subframe. I've got a good engine and box to go in, but I I've now decided to renew the ball joints, steering rack, wheel bearings and suspension bushes, etc. So there is no arguments with the MOT man.

The question I would like to ask is about wheel bearings, both front and rear. Is there any better quality wheel bearings to be had? The ones I've taken out this afternoon are just normal angular contact bearings. Are there any roller angular contact bearings? the reason I ask is that I've fitted EBay bearings before and they have not lasted that long. I also need to consider whether to replace the CV joints as well, as this would be the time to do it as everything is stripped out.

The 1275cc engine, which I've taken out of this car will be refurbished and fitted into my cream convertible, replacing the 998cc engine which is fitted at the moment. then this car can be sold!

Alan
Alan D.

Re: Wheel bearings

Postby apbellamy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:35 pm

I would always go for genuine timkin bearings. They are not cheep, but are definitely worth it in the long run.
apbellamy

Postby Stuart » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:39 pm

The bearings you have at the moment have less drag than tapered ones. If they're OK can you not just clean and regrease? Failing that metro's share the same bearing dimensions as late disc braked Mini's

I'm not quite sure why they're so dear these days :? but these will certainly work on the front

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... 0to%20shop

and I'm sure you'll have seen the discussion with David and Rich using them without a spacer and just nipping them up rather than tightening to 150 lb/ft.

Rear ones, extended inner race type (spacer less) http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... 0to%20shop

If there's no play in the CV's when holding the shaft in one hand and CV in the other I'd also reuse them if they look OK. But again the Disc version mini CV's are the same as the Metro.

Also why go to the bother of changing the engine in your cream car if you're going to sell it?
Stuart

Postby Alan D. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks Andy and Stuart,

I'll check out the links,

Andy, where do you buy your Timken bearings?

Also why go to the bother of changing the engine in your cream car if you're going to sell it?

It's just that I think it will be more desirable with a 1275cc engine, as opposed to the 998cc. Although this particular 998 engine is a cracker, it doesn't even dirty the oil!

Thanks again Alan
Alan D.

Postby Alan D. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Ah!!

Just checked the links, and I see that they are Timken roller bearings!

Alan
Alan D.

Postby Stuart » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:20 pm

Indeed ;)

These have a bit off the price if you're going to town

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... 0to%20shop
Stuart

Postby Rich » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:42 pm

The problems I was having with the wheel bearings in mine turned out to be a hub that was out of spec. I'd like to go back to the taper rollers but now I've got a ball set that works I honestly can't be bothered with any more messing around in the rain.
Rich

Postby apbellamy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:17 pm

I got a good deal on mine from ebay, about £25 a side.
apbellamy

Return to Mk 3 Convertible