battery kill/disconnect switch

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

battery kill/disconnect switch

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:46 pm

I have my battery in the boot and want to disconnect it with a switch when I don't use the car. Now I remove the negative lead every time, but there are dozens of switches for sale. There is one that bolts directly to the battery pole like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-Quick ... 2c6aa16a7c
Is that a reliable one for regular use?
Or is it advisable to install one on a separate bracket like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-Battery ... 23167c21eb

Anyone with experience on this subject?
Hans Efde

Re: battery kill/disconnect switch

Postby manifold » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:09 pm

my experience is that the battery pole type fall to bits after a little while as the material on the connector is quite flimsy where the thumbscrew thread is in the body. It split into 2 bits.

Second type is probably more robust but requires you to splice some connectors on the cable...plus fitting. Used a lot in rally/race cars though.

I use anderson connectors on mine. I just pull the 2 parts apart off when not used. Handy for quick battery changeover too with a pit battery.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:02 pm

Connecting the cable to the terminals is an issue because the cable needs to be removed for crimping or soldering. My cables run through the whole car, it's a lot of work getting them out. I don't want terminals that bolt on. Perhaps pulling them back to the passenger compartment creates enough length to just get them out of the car to be able to work on.
Hans Efde

Postby lankyjames » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:07 pm

I have both types but only fit the first type as it was so easy to install, the other required a bracket that I hadn't the time to make!

Have you looked at this type Hans?
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 1759482110

I've debated buying these and testing them out as they look tool-less so easy to swap battery/take it out to charge.
lankyjames

Postby stan1396 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi Hans,I used the second,Lucas type in my spider.It has the advantage that you can remove the key from it and give some extra security.I found it to be very reliable,but you need to put it somewhere inaccessible to thieving hands as you can bridge it/unbolt the cables quite easily. Stan.
stan1396

Postby goldeneye » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:42 pm

I have got the second one for my midas, the first one I have it on my gtm, the second one is the best in my opinion. You can disconnect the battery faster, and after the disconnect there won't be any loose cables hanging around in you engine bay.
Midas Mk II
goldeneye

Postby Hans Efde » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Last 2 weeks I have been doing a few small improvements on my car. One is the kill switch.I bought the heavier version and installed it in the boot above the battery:
I had to remove the cables to get to a shop that has a large crimping tool to connect the new terminals. I will install them once I've done a few things at the dashboard among other the installation of a triple pod. I am building one from aluminium and wood. Today I cut the aluminium sheet and did a first fit:
I intend to finish it the coming week if it doesn't get to cold in the shed (weather forecast predicts again frost)
Hans Efde

Postby lankyjames » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Looking forward to more photos of your dash pod Hans!
lankyjames

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:28 pm

I've just discovered a snag with the basic type of cut-off as on Hans' car. I was tinkering with my Ginetta the other day, switched the ignition off and the engine kept running! So I used the cut-off and it still kept running... :o Apparently to be sure of shutting off in an emergency you need the kind that also cuts off the alternator circuit.
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Geoff Butcher wrote:I've just discovered a snag with the basic type of cut-off as on Hans' car. I was tinkering with my Ginetta the other day, switched the ignition off and the engine kept running! So I used the cut-off and it still kept running... :o Apparently to be sure of shutting off in an emergency you need the kind that also cuts off the alternator circuit.

How is that possible? The power to the coil runs via the ignition. If you switch it off, the coil is powerless and so should the engine be. Or do you have a relais in between that got stuck (igniton powers relais, relais powers coil)?
For me the battery kill switch is not an emergency switch as used in racing, but to preserve the battery. I agree with you that in racing cars the wiring of the kill switch should be different because it should also cut off the engine.
Hans Efde

Next

Return to Mk 3 Convertible