Starting problems!!!

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: Starting problems!!!

Postby apbellamy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Does it still have the metro anti run on valve fitted to the carb? This could be stuck open, which would stop it starting.

If it has, take it of and clamp a bolt or something in the hose to make sure it's blocked and not letting the carb fill with air and be too lean to run.
apbellamy

Postby DavidL » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:34 pm

Moneypit wrote:
David L wrote:Are you using a 6V coil and ballast resistor? Makes a big difference, if I remember correctly.

No.It's a 12volt.

The theory being that when the starter circuit is triggered, the resistor is shorted out, giving you 12v at the coil. Once the starter circuit is reopened, you're back to the coil's normal running voltage of 6v (as I understand it).
DavidL

Postby Geoff Butcher » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:20 pm

Distributor contacts corroded? Rotor arm likewise, or cracked? Carbon contact worn out? I used to find that modern components are crap, that's why I fitted Megajolt and said goodbye to ignition trouble. Haven't met an AA man for years, famous last words! :mrgreen:
Geoff
Geoff Butcher

Postby Moneypit » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Day off tomorrow but Mrs Moneypit's got plans for me :roll: . Also the Midas started first touch tonight so as with all intermittent problems 'mañana' my friend!! ;) .Thanks for all the suggestions....I'll be checking them all.
Moneypit

Previous

Return to Mk 3 Convertible