Triple instrument pod/mount for Rover 213 dash

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Triple instrument pod/mount for Rover 213 dash

Postby Hans Efde » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Today I finished the construction of the triple instrument pod for my dashboard.
First I did a basic check:

Then I used a cardboard template to cut a piece of 1mm aluminium. With careful fitting and cutting I finally got the shape that fits seamless to the dashboard. I then rivetted a few brackets onto it of which 2 have a bolt welded to it. End result of the construction:

The wooden instrument plate is not the final one since I cut the holes too big. I already made a new one but this dummy is handy for trial fits like this. Coming week I'll glue padding and grey vinyl to the alu housing and a piece of black leather (from an old coat) to the instrument plate. Costs so far 0,0 since it's all made from stuff I found in the garage.
Hans Efde

Re: Triple instrument pod/mount for Rover 213 dash

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:39 pm

I finished the pod today:
Padding glued. I bought a strip of padding normally used for clothes (85 eurocents from a cloth store). It's thinner than foam and perfect for this.

Then the vinyl and leather and put a few instruments in. In the middle the oil pressure gauge will sit:

Next job this week is to remove the radio and housing, drill the holes in the dash, reroute and updo the wiring (it's a mess). Also install the Lambda probe and route the wiring to the gauge. Hopefully I'll finish it coming Sunday if there are no family visits planned or other obligations.
Hans Efde

Postby lankyjames » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:09 am

Commendable work Hans, that dash pod looks factory built and will really complement your dashboard, I'm very impressed how it has come out!
lankyjames

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:12 am

It's still kitcarish. The giveaway is in the vinyl that folds around the edge and causes wrinkles underneath. Factory style would be getting the vinyl/leather in shape with steam or heat applicances (I'v seen that in Megafactories, Ferrari or Lambo special, forgot wich one) or use 2 pieces and have them stitched together on the edge so it forms a curve. That's on my todo list, getting my hands on a professional sewing machine for little money and learning to sew or save enough money for a professional trim job.
Hans Efde

Postby Hans Efde » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:09 pm

I finished the dashboard pod today. Prior to fitting the instruments I fitted the lambda probe:
A straight fit in the SC exhaust.

Then the wiring:
Lambda electronic module in the left dashboard cavity:
Then tested and assembled the dash again. I noted during testing that the fuelpump failed to run.

So that's finished. Trouble shooting the fuel pump I found a broke wire. No wonder, the previous owner had connected it using solid core household installation wire. I replaced the wiring and rewired the fuel pump relais since it had a few strange connections. I also put it on a different spot (under the boot floor):
Then it was time to test the pump. 30 seconds later the garage floor was flooded with petrol. The pump was dumping the fuel via the carburettor overflow. Apparently
a) the pump pressure is too high
b) the pressure regulator doesn't work
c) the carb float doesn't close the chamber.
TBC.
Hans Efde

Postby kelvink » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:09 pm

Eeek! Good that you tested the fuel pump and at least it works now. I always like to have a bucket of water and a fire extinguisher near by when I'm working on anything involving flammables.

That's going to be a very tidy car when it's all finished Hans
kelvink

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:00 am

kelvink wrote:Eeek! Good that you tested the fuel pump and at least it works now. I always like to have a bucket of water and a fire extinguisher near by when I'm working on anything involving flammables.

That's going to be a very tidy car when it's all finished Hans

Thanks, yes it was dangerous. I immediately shut of the electrics and let the garage ventilate for a few hours. I think it has to do with the fact that there is no ballast resistor and the pump is getting too many amps. The previous owner had placed the relay near the boot lock and had wired in a parallel loop VIA the boot lock. WTF? But now I understand he used the boot lock as a ballast resistor. It seems I need 9V at the pump, so I need to dust of my brain and recall my long gone knowledge about electric schemes to calculate the ohms of the ballast resistor. Elementary school stuff but I competely forgot!
Hans Efde

Return to Mk 3 Convertible