Mk3 Headlight alternatives?

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Mk3 Headlight alternatives?

Postby Rich » Wed May 22, 2013 9:26 pm

I know David did something with lights earlier but I can't find anything on the forum.

I'm in the process of rubbing my convertible down and I've got the headlight peaks off at the moment, just throwing alternatives to the 7" lights around in my head. I've got a pair of MX5 pop-ups in the loft somewhere, another thought was using something lower profile lights, removing the humps and being able to use perspex headlight covers.

I probably won't do any of it as I'd rather have it on the road, but has anyone done anything different?
Rich

Re: Mk3 Headlight alternatives?

Postby manifold » Thu May 23, 2013 7:55 am

cut down smartcar roadster pods Rich.
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Postby Hans Efde » Thu May 23, 2013 10:30 am

manifold wrote:cut down smartcar roadster pods Rich.

Have you installed them or is it still a project? I know Ed has Porsche 911 lights on the shelf for a headlight conversion. He believes they fit. I'd love to get my hands on some perspex covers like the MGB racers had.
Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Wed May 29, 2013 9:12 pm

manifold wrote:cut down smartcar roadster pods Rich.

That was it!

I'm going to leave things as they are I think. I've replaced all the adjustment parts with stainless on the Morette rings, the adjustment at the 12 O'clock position was completely limited by a huge gob of filler on both sides that had been slarted on to secure the peaks.

The peaks have never been blended in which has probably contributed to the variety whistling noises it has at speed. Are there any other recommended ways of securing these things?
Rich

Postby manifold » Wed May 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Sorry Hans I didn't realise until now your question was aimed at me.

No I haven't done any more on that project yet. Its still on the back burner.

Best way to secure the brows is by glassing in a big head fastener or two on underside using some grp tape on each side of big heads to ensure its secure. That way you can remove them easy enough if necessary. Mine use M6 threaded bigheads. Drill a hole in top of body and a slot it so you can adjust it for best fit. Fit with a penny washer like most things. Better still use all stainless as water gets here (blasted in).
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Return to Mk 3 Convertible