Another spring conversion

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Another spring conversion

Postby streetsy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:52 pm

I'm fairly sure now I'm going to swap out my hydro units for the mini spring replacements, so sure I've started to make the turrets to weld to the subframe, I was looking on Huddersfield mini spares website and noticed that they sells springs too, in three guises (soft, standard or hard) has anybody used the Huddersfield springs? Also what grade of springs are others using?
streetsy

Re: Another spring conversion

Postby Rich » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:22 pm

I've got the Watsons springs in mine, I've a vague recollection they are rated at something ridiculous like 4000lb.
Rich

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:28 pm

Rich wrote:I've got the Watsons springs in mine, I've a vague recollection they are rated at something ridiculous like 4000lb.

Yes they are really heavy duty. You can't press the front of the Midas down by hand. But the ride itself is very composed without the crashing harshness of the hydragas. I suppose they are so oversized because their work has to be done in 1 inch compression or so.
Hans Efde

Postby DavidL » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:10 pm

I think I've asked this before, but I don't remember much wrong with the suspension on my Bronze (it was decades ago though), so why should I not convert my Hydragas setup to Mini rubber cone suspension?
It's a serious question, by the way. Which may make me look daft, but I'd like to know what makes the Watsons spring conversion so much better - has anyone done a Watsons spring conversion on a rubber-sprung Mini?
DavidL

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:15 pm

DavidL wrote:I think I've asked this before, but I don't remember much wrong with the suspension on my Bronze (it was decades ago though), so why should I not convert my Hydragas setup to Mini rubber cone suspension?
It's a serious question, by the way. Which may make me look daft, but I'd like to know what makes the Watsons spring conversion so much better - has anyone done a Watsons spring conversion on a rubber-sprung Mini?

I've seen such a conversion on Wheeler Dealers, was it a Mini Moke they did this mod on?
Hans Efde

Postby Hans Efde » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:24 pm

Hans Efde

Postby Rich » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:58 pm

DavidL wrote:I think I've asked this before, but I don't remember much wrong with the suspension on my Bronze (it was decades ago though), so why should I not convert my Hydragas setup to Mini rubber cone suspension?

No idea is the short answer David, however form a hydragas point of view I found the ride less harsh, the first thing you notice is the CD player stops skipping . I suspect my spheres were running short of nitrogen though.
Rich

Postby kelvink » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:08 am

Rich wrote:No idea is the short answer David, however form a hydragas point of view I found the ride less harsh, the first thing you notice is the CD player stops skipping . I suspect my spheres were running short of nitrogen though.

I got myself a newfangled stereo that has a USB mp3 slot. A lot cheaper and easier to fit and set up than changing to springs :D
kelvink

Postby streetsy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:01 pm

The springs are a bit more progressive than cones so I'm told. I plan to convert as I think my N/S gas unit is furtled
streetsy

Postby Rich » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:42 pm

kelvink wrote:
Rich wrote:No idea is the short answer David, however form a hydragas point of view I found the ride less harsh, the first thing you notice is the CD player stops skipping . I suspect my spheres were running short of nitrogen though.

I got myself a newfangled stereo that has a USB mp3 slot. A lot cheaper and easier to fit and set up than changing to springs :D

I got something similar, my back and teeth appreciate the springs too!
Rich

Next

Return to Mk 3 Convertible