Standard Exhaust

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Standard Exhaust

Postby billybob » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi All,

couldn't find a suitable post on this, please help.

Is the standard exhaust a straight swipe out of a metro or is there some trickery going on with it?

By the way its for a Midas gold convertible...

Ii haven't looked underneath yet so just trying to get a heads up- it sounds like its blowing like an elephant fart though! So I don't know if it is worth patching up or just trying to find a replacement.

Thanks,
billybob

Re: Standard Exhaust

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:39 pm

No it's a special made item for the Midas. Among others Maniflow made them for Midas. I once had a rotted rear box and went to a local exhaust supplier. Found a similar looking muffler and the supplier bent a few tubes to make it fit. When it was done I found out that the car had become much louder inside and outside. Luckily on my present Gold Convertible it's a Maniflow stainless steel exhaust so hopefully good for many years.
Hans Efde

Postby billybob » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:20 am

ahh ok,
thanks! It seems that the exhaust isn't in too bad condition anyway, lucky me!
billybob

Postby billybob » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:41 am

okay so I am now fed up with how noisy the exhaust is! Thought I could live with it but I can't.

Has anyone put a new back box on that doesn't sound like thunder? The exhaust I have is in good condition but I want to quieten it down without hampering performance too much. I was thinking of re-packing the orignial and riveting a plate back over it but if I can find a back box that fits that would be preferable.

I'm not interested in cherry bombs or anything similar as I want it to be quieter or at least less rough sounding!

Thanks,
billybob

Postby Rich » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:56 am

I've had good results in the past by having exhausts built on the vehicle by the local Powerflow outlet. A couple of years back I had a system built to original dimensions on my Impreza which came in at £250 in stainless so a single box and a couple of bends shouldn't be too expensive.

Failing that, you've nothing to lose with your repacking option and it could make all the difference, the Maniflow system on mine isn't noisy at all.
Rich

Postby Jin » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:44 pm

you can get decibel inserts from demon freaks and similar outlets, you can also try supertrapps too but look for the clamp in rather than clamp on
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Postby Mtrike » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:45 pm

Mine is very very noisy unless cruising.
Mtrike

Postby Jin » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:15 pm

I wish mine was louder :)
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Return to Mk 3 Convertible