drilling the floor

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

Re: drilling the floor

Postby Jin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:25 pm

Lots of food for thought there, thanks for the detailed reply.
Regarding the subframe bolts, it was a calculated move in the respect that they hold the rubber mounts to the car with the subframe held to the mounts via standard bolts, theory being there will be some give in the mounts to reduce stresses on the bolts despite the manufacturer telling me they are almost identical to 8.8s in every respect.
Unfortunately in this area I feel I have no choice since the fronts literally sit in water and if you look back through my thread the old ones has literally disintergrated which would be far worse than plain stainless.
If only we had the strength of 8.8s and the corrosion protection of stainless.
https://easywider.co.uk/ universal flexible wheel arch extensions
Jin

Re: drilling the floor

Postby manifold » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:12 pm

When drilling through foam sandwich constructions the tried and tested method in the marine world is to cut through a bigger hole on the inner layer, scrape out the foam down to outer laminate then fill with newly created void with epoxy resin/micro balloons....Then redrill the actual hole in the centre of the epoxy/outer grp laminate. That way you are not putting stress on the foam sandwich when tightening up the bolt/fixings. Works well on through hull connections such as echo sounders and logs which handle all the hammering that the sea can give it,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Midas Cars Forum & Facebook Page Founder

Midas Gold Convertible: 1380 steel 16v KAD & 5 sp dog box, Titanium mania, KAD fr/rear callipers, CF Steering

Midas Gold Coupe: 1380 7 port xflow, SC/CR gearbox, Titanium mania, CF Steering & seats.
manifold

Previous

Return to Mk 3 Convertible