kangarooing :(

Moderator: The Midas Forum Staff

kangarooing :(

Postby billybob » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:27 am

Hi all,

so it rained a lot last night....

Car wouldn't start this morning with choke on, then with choke fully off it did fire but was lumpy. I thought that I must have flooded it but this never cleared in my 10 mile journey to work. It ran but not smoothly, so I think water must have got in somewhere unless there is something wrong with the fuelling..It ran better with the choke on a small amount but it was idling high suggesting that the car was warm enough to run with no choke. However, when the choke was taken off fully again the car went back to running lumpy...

Any suggestions would be grand thanks,
billybob

Re: kangarooing :(

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:42 pm

If you have a KN filter directly under the bonnet vents it's possible rain went into the filter and carburettor. That's why I replaced it with a remote filter.
Hans Efde

Postby billybob » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:52 pm

Hi Hans,

I did wonder this as it's the set up that I have. I thought that it would have cleared after a few minutes of driving though. Definitely seems like a bit of a design floor though. The car is under a cover but outside so there is every chance that water could drip down that way....

I have driven in the rain before and this hasn't happened but it could we be the luck of the draw...
billybob

Postby Stuart » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Then there's the one that dumps water onto the battery and the one that sucks air out of the heater. A flaw for sure. Just drive it when it isn't raining :P :)
Stuart

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:05 pm

Stuart wrote:Then there's the one that dumps water onto the battery and the one that sucks air out of the heater. A flaw for sure. Just drive it when it isn't raining :P :)

Yes I made rubber flaps on my first 2 Midasses to cover the battery. My present Midas has the battery in the boot. And another yes, it's a negative pressure area so it doesn't do much good for heater flow. But by driving around with the sunroof open a coupe will have a decent flow, because there is a good pressure differential this way.
Hans Efde

Postby Hans Efde » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:15 pm

billybob wrote:Hi Hans,

I did wonder this as it's the set up that I have. I thought that it would have cleared after a few minutes of driving though. Definitely seems like a bit of a design floor though. The car is under a cover but outside so there is every chance that water could drip down that way....

I have driven in the rain before and this hasn't happened but it could we be the luck of the draw...

You also should consider changing CO values with changing ambient temperatures. With such an open KN filter the carburettor is sensitive to temperature changes. I noted this because I have a lambda probe in my exhaust and a dial on the dash. So if your car was set up in the summer, colder temps in the morning might change the setup. My remote filter didn't cure it so I have a small screwdriver on board for small CO adjustments, until I eventually have a ECU controlled injection system.
You might want to play with the CO screw, but make quarter turns adjustments only and make notes if you want to go back to the original setting.
Hans Efde

Postby benofbrum » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:36 pm

Onna Gold convertible I had many moons ago, I was worried about rain getting into the filter and made a K & N filter surround out of a Maestro diesel air filter. Happy hunting
benofbrum

Postby billybob » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:17 am

This got interesting!

So after a bit of digging it turned out to be the distributor.....after limping home, I lifted the bonnet with it just about running and the dizzy was sparking somehow onto a radiator hose ?!

Took the cap off, cleaned and turned the coil lead around and it runs okay now. I have ordered new leads, cap, rotor and plugs though as a precaution. I also decided to increase my idle speed a little as it was low but this seems to have altered the choke position. A tiny pull on the choke now puts the choke fully on! Is it simply a case of backing off the choke cable or have I messed with the wrong screw?

Is a 1275 cc metro engine with standard carb (forget the number).

I will make the other mods as and when I get water running in hahaha, if it aint broke and all that...
billybob

Postby Hans Efde » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:47 am

That's great news. Changing idle speed shouldn't have such an effect on the choke. Just see on the carb how the cables run and adjust according the Haynes.
Concerning your standard carb (HIF44) I hope the needle is upgraded with the installation of the KN filter. Else all that extra oxygen is useless. Usually a MG Metro needle is used when upgrading the air filter (standard is BDK, MG Metro is BDL).
Hans Efde

Return to Mk 3 Convertible